Part Ten

Kuzco had disappeared into the kitchen to 'have a word with the chef', so my dad and I just sat, indulging in our pillbug. Don't ask me what it is exactly 'cause I have no idea but this was the type of food we were raised on as kids.

"So... you and Kuzco...," my Dad trailed off, eyeing me expectantly.

I continued eating, "There is no 'me and Kuzco'. Why do you keep bringing it up anyway?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "There's something there," he gave me a stern look seeing that I was about to interrupt, "and I think you're trying to ignore it. Just like your mother." He wagged a finger at me, "And just like your mother, you're gonna fail and eventually realize that it's ok to fall in love."

I choked, took a large gulp of water, and said, "Whoa, slow your llamas, pal. Kuzco and I are just friends. Yes, maybe I have a few feelings for him," I admitted casually, "but he's the Emperor and, well, I have plans, so... that's that."

"Right, well-"

"I'm leaving!" I shouted, desperate to get away from that topic of conversation. Multiple heads turned towards our table at my sudden exclamation.

My dad stayed silent only to process what I said and then his face morphed into shock and confusion. "What? What do you mean you're leaving? When? You've never said anything!" He waved his hands in the air, eyes darting everywhere, "I mean sure you mentioned it but your mom and I thought it was a joke!"

I placed a hand on his arm and took a deep breath, "Look, I'm sorry I haven't told you sooner but, honestly, I'm just figuring out what I want in life for myself."

"Amara..."

"It'll be for one year and I won't be alone, Deja's coming with me. And then I'll come back home-"

"Ok."

My eyes popped open, "What?" Again, multiple heads turned toward us.

My dad chuckled, shaking his head, "I would hope by now that you know your mother and I want what's best for you."

"Yeah, I do."

"Then why would you think I would say no?" I stared at him, unable to form words. "You'll obviously have to tell your mother," he put his hands out in surrender, "I don't want to deal with that."

"So I can go?" He simply nodded his head. I jumped into his arms, causing him to grunt from the weight.

~

"We've been walking around in circles for who knows how long. That is the last time we take directions from a squirrel. I should have done away with Kuzco myself when I had the chance," a shrill voice complained from behind us.

We both gasped. I peeked over my dad's frame to see who was talking about Kuzco. My dad remained still, afraid to attract attention.

"It's a scary, prehistoric lady and a man," I whispered, "You get Kuzco and I'll meet you outside?" he nodded in agreement.

"Yo," the man tapped my dad's shoulder, "You using that fork there, pal? Hey, don't I know you two?" My dad denied it but the man continued listing places they could have met. Excusing himself, he rushed to the kitchen to get Kuzco.

"Sorry, we just found out our grandma died so we have to leave," I said, not waiting for his response before rushing out. I could hear the man call out, 'Hope she gets better!', a few screws must be loose.

I waited beneath the staircase leading to the restaurant outside. My dad and Kuzco eventually approached me with Kuzco asking what was going on.

"Look, there are two people in there looking for you. A big guy and a skinny old woman," my dad rushed out.

Kuzco's face turned happy, "That's Yzma and Kronk! I'm saved!"

My dad gripped his poncho that Kuzco used as a disguise, "Trust me, they're not here to save you."

Ignoring my dad, Kuzco thought aloud, "They'll take me back to the palace." He then looked at us, "Thanks for your help. You've been great. I can take it from here."

"Kuzco, wait!" I jumped in front of him, "They're trying to kill you! You can't go."

His expression turned into disbelief, "What? Wha-Oh, I get it!"

"What?"

He pointed a hoove in our direction, "You don't want to take me back to the palace. You want to keep me stranded out here forever."

I looked at him, hurt by the accusation, "Kuzco, of course not!"

"This has all been an act, and I almost fell for it," he said disappointed.

My dad shook his head annoyed, "Will you just listen to me–"

"No, no, you listen to me. All you care about is your stupid hilltop!"

"What?" my dad exclaimed.

Kuzco snapped his head towards me, "And you!" I gasped at his aggression, "You made me care for you, making me think that I need a family! That I need you!"

"Kuzco-"

He sniffed, "But you don't care about me! Neither of you do!" his voice turned dejected, "Now, just get out of here. Go!"

"Kuzco, please-" I started.

Simultaneously, my dad said, "But-"

The Emperor stood his ground and shouted, "Go on! Get outta here!"

My dad pulled my arm, "Fine!" he said. He pulled me away as the Emperor walked towards Yzma and Kronk's voices.

I knew Kuzco was just confused but that didn't make his words hurt any less. I took one last, long glance in Kuzco's direction then walked away with my dad.