Epilogue Part Six

Two and a half years later...

"Gosh, darn it." I threw the yarn and hooks on the table. A loud clang rang through the air at the impact. It only made me groan even more as I laid my head on my crossed arms. Tears started cascading down my cheeks but I couldn't help it.

"Sweetheart?" I jumped when a hand was placed on my shoulder. Snapping my head up, I ignored the twinge of pain that caused it. Standing beside me was my mother looking very concerned. I probably did look like a lunatic.

I let out a big breath, comforted by the mere presence of my mom. Slamming my forehead against her stomach, I just cried as her arms enveloped me. This may have been an exaggeration but at the moment, my feelings were valid.

"What's going on?"

I responded but her clothes smothered my mouth causing the words to come out in unintelligible sounds. She ran her fingers through my hair knowing that it was an easy way to calm me. After a bit, my sobs quieted into sniffles so she pushed against my shoulders to see my face.

"You wanna try that again?"

I looked at her pathetically. "I can't do it, Momma. I can't focus and-" I had to take numerous breaths to get the words out, "and I keep messing up." The last few words spilled out along with more cries of frustration.

"Oh, Sweetie." She knew it was serious when I called her 'Momma'. "What's got you all agitated?"

I simply pointed at the items in question, the yarn and hooks. Her eyes followed my gesture and first looked confused then pitiful.

"Oh my."

I frowned, "I know it's bad. You don't have to say it."

"What's it supposed to be?"

I was about to reply and then realized my mistake. "Umm, it's a surprise. For Kuzco's birthday." His twenty-third birthday was coming up. "Could you just show me how to do the star stitch, please?" I asked desperately.

She inspected me with her stare for a moment. "Alright, but if I catch you like this again, then..."

"I know, I know. Thank you," I said while hugging her.

~

I was slowly brought out of my sleep by arms wrapping around my waist. Snuggling into my husband's warmth, I kept my eyes closed in an attempt to get as much sleep as possible. He obviously had a different idea since my face was now getting peppered with kisses.

I gently pushed his face away with my hands but that only fueled him more to keep assaulting me with his kisses.

"Kuzco... stop it."

"Only if you wish me a happy birthday."

Cracking my eyes open to his gleaming face, I said, "Happy birthday." I gave him a loving smile and then leaned in to give a kiss but before that could happen, I remembered something and jolted out of bed.

"Hey!"

"I just realized I have to go decorate for your party! Sorry, Honey."

He sat up and whined, "But, Mars, it's my birthday." I shook my head and explained that I needed to direct the setup as I got ready for the day. "What about my present?"

"I'll give it to you at the party just like everybody else."

Wiping his eyes, he grinned, "Well, that would be a little inappropriate."

"Wha-" I gasped, "Kuzco! Watch your mouth, there are kids around."

"Please, your siblings are far away," he replied snarkily, rolling his eyes. That's not what I meant.