Chapter VIII : Glimpse of Fate

"Okay, can you two love birds split now!? You've been kissing for ten minutes!" Venti loses his patience and yells aloud, flailing his arms around like a child. Makoto giggled upon seeing her lover's childish reactions. It seems like they did not register his words, as moans continue to emit from both of them. Something inside Venti's mind seems to snap, as he summons a violent stream of gust to awaken them from their make-out session. 

"CAN YOU BOTH GO TO SLEEP ALREADY!???" His roar of anger frightened them a little bit, as they both nodded simultaneously before heading towards their shared room - something they had been doing for a while now. Venti shortly sighed, followed by a yelp as Makoto yanked him, eager for some alone time with the bard. He gulped nervously. This will be a long night for the both of them... 

.

.

.

"Why did it have to be like this..." She heard someone mumble in disbelief, though she couldn't even believe it herself. They all never thought it'd go this far, ending it like this was far beyond their wildest dreams...

In front of Eula was a black haired Nate, his bloodshot eyes filled with uncontrollable rage mixed with surprise as Broken Pine was seen penetrating through his abdomen. He coughed violently, causing blood to splatter more on the claymore's already stained blade. An uncomfortable yet somber smile appeared on his face.

"Satisfied... with vengeance, Lawrence...?" The tone of his voice was cold to the extreme, as each words that were spilled are coated with unintentional hatred, one thing he never volunteered to express. Eula's dusk-themed eyes widened, she always said that she'll enact vengeance upon him, but she never meant it in a literal way, yet maybe Asmoday forced that hidden rage to break out of him. The wounds he inflicted on her body was painful, she'll admit, nonetheless the grip on her paining heart was stronger than that by a mile off.

"Why, Nate... Why did you succumb to Celestia's control...?" She was practically sobbing at this point, but she didn't care. Holding back right now would be pointless. He seems tired, as if struggling to keep consciousness isn't hard enough.

"I never had a choice... My contract was permanent..." He whispered lowly, sounding much gentler compared to before. She can see his bloodshot orbs reverting back to black, as well as witnessing the light in it began to fade slowly, as life was drifting away from his body. Eula panicked before yelling aloud for help, unfortunately Jean was too strained to heal anyone else, the same can also be said for Barbara.

"Hey, hey, hey... look at me, okay...? Everything's gonna be alright..." It feels like she was trying to convince herself more than him. She knew that hit was critical enough to take a life instantly, and the fact that Nate was able to hold in a few while longer is already a blessing itself. But Archons still have their limits. He used his right hand - the only one still intact - and put it on top of hers, trying to transfer what sort of heat he had remaining in his dying body. At the same time, he collapses on the ground, due to the lack of strength on his legs. 

"I-... *cough*" He doesn't have much time left, they both knew. So, he mustered all of his strength just to say something she felt like was too commonly spoken from his mouth, yet it seems so special in this moment...

"I... Love... Eula..."

She instantly pulls him into a hug, not even minding the amount of blood spilling on her outfit. Tears once again were drawn, falling uncontrollably on the dying man. 

"Eula loves Nate too... Please don't go..." She can't afford to lose him... She can't lose another person that she loves... 

"I'm sorry... Eula... Ei... everyone..." It seems like another person shared her current emotions, as Inazuma's Archon - who had been standing next to her after she dealt the remorse-filled blow - also caressed his cheeks like he's something they need to protect. Eula tends to get jealous, yes, but right now, she will not act. 

"It's alright, my friend. We'll finish what you started." Aether also tried to soothe him, while his golden eyes were fixated on the Sustainer of Heavenly Principles far away, the same can be said for Venti and Zhongli. 

"Thank you... for making my life better..." He flashed them all one last smile before giving in to the Shinigami's temptation, as his breathing was put to an immediate stop. Eula and Ei both burst into tears, knowing that their beloved Nate is no more. Though, Eula doesn't get to dwell on this for long, as she felt like something's dragging her back, her vision slowly fading to black... 

.

.

.

A sweaty Eula rose up suddenly from her bed, still in her nightwear. She hurriedly pinch her cheek as a way to identify if this was a dream or not. To her favor, this isn't, as she quietly groans after pinching it. She turned to her left, a sleeping Nate came into her vision. Eula quickly touched his abdomen, where she supposedly stabbed him, and was relieved when seeing that there was no gigantic hole in it. 

'What did I just saw...?'   

"Eula..? It's only 2 AM, go back to sleep, dear..." Nate whispered, sounding a bit sleepy. She might've accidentally woke him up during his slumber, in which she replied with a slight chuckle, trying to pretend as if she never witnessed that nightmare. He can sense something's wrong with the Spindrift Knight, based on her awkward laughter alone. He decided that he'll find that out tomorrow morning, when they both had some more sleep. 

'Did she had one of... "those" dreams...?'

"You'll have black circles under your eyes if you stay up longer, so rest now, okay?" He gently kiss her forehead, before pulling her down the bed with him to cuddle. She tried to protest, but he had fallen asleep faster than she had expected. Eula smiled, allowing sleep to take over her once more. She'll have to think of ways to prevent that nightmare from happening, but right now, being in his arms would stop it from reappearing for tonight. 

.

.

.

Short chapter, I know. I never intended for it to be like this, as I planned for a different way to implement the chapter initially. But I saw an Eula art on Instagram, so this idea randomly popped into my head. I'll try to think of more ideas to write, but finals are coming soon and I've been having too many writer's block on many stories. Anyways, thank you so much for 3.68k, as well as 160 votes. You guys are the factor that made this story my best one yet. I appreciate your merits.