Asystole

The Number capital hospital was alive with movement. Krill's private surgical suite was almost crowded with doctors and other staff preparing the suite for use. Surgical nurses, consulting doctors and others clustered around in anticipation sterilization drapes on and ready.

Krill didn't usually like letting civilians into the surgical suite, but this time it had to be done. A surgical assistant stood with both Lord Celex and Conn as the two where scrubbed in foaming lather all the way up to their elbows despite strict instructions to touch nothing unless ordered to do so. All of conn's ribbons had been gathered up rolled, and tied away under his surgical gown leaving only the gravity belt under his clothing. Lord Celex, like many of the other human assistants, had his hair tied back and under a hairnet.

Stepping away from the sinks, the two kept their hands held up and away from their bodies as they were both fitted with gloves and masks, ordered under no circumstances to touch their faces. Another surgical assistant helped to drape them with sterilization shrouds. From there they were ushered into a waiting DECOM unit for one last go before they were finally allowed into the waiting surgical suite.

The view was.... Rather ominous.

A single chair sat at the center of the room, and at the headrest of that chair there was mounted an intimidating metal contraption which glittered in the direct overhead light: a vice for holding the head in place during surgery. Straps lined along the chair lay open and waiting. The overhead floodlights lit the chair like a stage light and glittered over waiting metal.

Overhead eyes looked down from a 360 degree viewing window were students and other interested parties sat nervously waiting for the surgery to begin.

Out in the prep room Adam sat on the edge of a cot nervously playing with his hands.

Sunny stood with him, Kay in her upper set of arms.

They had done their best to explain to him what was going on, but he was just a bit too young to understand. The hospital didn't scare him, but he seemed nervous about soemthing and kept reaching out for Adam who was wearing his own set of scrubs, socks and hospital slippers. Krill was concerned about shock, and was eager to keep him nice and warm for the duration of surgery however long that might take.

"Its ok, I'll be back soon." He was saying , "

Kay looked at him skeptical, sensing soemthing was wrong.

Sunny was as impassive as ever but both Kay and Adam could sense her tension, "You understand I support you in this, but you also must understand that I did not expect it to happen so fast. Krill has hardly had time to prepare and I don't like it."

Adam shook his head, "We don't have a choice. Earth has been invaded and the sooner I get this done the sooner we can help . If I decide not to do this and later learn that it could have been the difference between winning this fight and not winning, than I have to take the chance."

"And what if you die?"

"Celex died, didn't seem to stop him all that much."

Sunny frowned, "You know my mother would be eager to get her hands on your soul, and if she does there is going to be no Celex to help you."

He reached up and took one of her lower hands, "I know. but I have a counter argument. Krill is never NOT prepared. As soon as this whole hair brained idea got into his head, I am sure hes been studying planning, researching and everything else you can't think of. If anyone has to poke around in my head, I would rather it be him."

Sunny sighed but nodded.

"Your vote of confidence is touching."

They both looked over to find krill standing in the doorway with another waiting set of surgical nurses.