Questionable Choices

Several Years Earlier

"I'm not sure this is a good idea."

Ramirez rolled his eyes and clapped Adam on the shoulder with his free hand, "it's not a good idea, it's a great idea." He walked Adam forward through a curtain of pulsating red and blue light which spilled down onto the sidewalk before them. A line of people trailed away from the door, their voices raised to be heard over the throbbing beat of music that could be heard emanating from inside.

"I...."

"Look if you don't like it, we never have to do it again, but you should at least try it once." Adam looked at him with some measure of concern red and blue light reflecting off his wide green eyes. The poor kid was out of his element. It was honestly quite adorable, but Ramirez had promised he wouldn't try anything while he was on duty especially not with a superior officer.

It was hard to think of Adam like that, especially at a time like this, but Ramirez wasn't stupid. He knew exactly how to toe the line to avoid getting fired.

Adam paused where the back of the line ended, but Ramirez grabbed him by the arm, "Nuh uh, this is my town baby, and in my town we don't have to wait in lines." Adam glanced around frowning in confusion, "I thought you were from Texas?"

Ramirez rolled his eyes, "Let me be clear, every town is my town, besides." He ran a hand through his hair and rolled his shoulders like a boxer about to enter the ring, "When you're hot like us you don't have to wait in line."

Adam glanced over his shoulder as if looking for the other person Ramirez was talking about.

Cute and stupid, "I'm talking about you Adam."

The poor kid flushed red to his ears. Ok not stupid, but naive was probably a better term. They cut through the fast lane and past most of the line finally making it towards the door where the bouncer was standing guard at the door eyeing everyone who passed in. Ramirez sized him up in a matter of seconds and knew immediately. The bouncer stepped in front of them, and Adam shrunk back behind Ramirez despite being significantly taller than him.

"VIP passes?" The bouncer said referring to the line they had just stepped from, or the absence of a line to be more precise.

Adam shot Ramirez a look, and went to back away, but Ramirez stepped on his foot to hold him in place, and gave his first best smile to the bouncer, "Afraid I must have forgot my pass." He reached down as if to feel at his pockets. The bouncer did not look impressed, at least not until Ramirez flashed him a twenty credit note, which the man took and pocketed with no argument.

"Thanks chief." Ramirez said hauling Adam forward by the arm, but as soon as the bouncer saw Adam he frowned.

"Wait, let me see your ID first.

Adam blanched white then reached into his pockets. The poor kid was so nervous he dropped his card on the ground and then had to go scrambling around to find it before standing back up a bright shade of charry red. The bouncer raised his eyes to heaven and then took Adam's ID, "he did not look convinced." Looking back and forth between Adam and his card with his eyes narrowed. The man reached up to call for someone on his radio.

Adam gave Ramirez a look of panic.

Ramirez sighed, "Quit freaking out dude, it looks suspicious and now he thinks the card is fake."

A man stepped out from just inside the club door, "Hold up your arm."

Adam held up his right arm. The man sighed, "Your other arm."