Chapter 8 : Au Revior

Beau was hoping, hoping against all hope, that Edythe would keep her promise.

He could feel his heart stumbling to each beat, he still remembered his hoarse cries for Edythe to kill him so that the fire in his veins could be quenched. Beau had stopped begging after the first hour, since it seemed like no one was listening. All he saw was blackness, all he heard was the ringing in his ears.

Beau was completely alone.

Pain striked Beau's chest as his heart started beating at an uncontrollable rate, the burning of the fire flaring until his heart eventually stopped beating.

Beau stayed still, hoping that it meant that someone tore his hear out of his chest and that he wouldn't become what he think he would become.

This was not the case.

Beau no longer felt the fire of hell, in fact, he felt a little cold.

Beau slowly opened his eyes and saw the familiar ceiling of the Cullen house hold. Betrayal and anger were quick to rise within him as he took in his surroundings with a new, sharp vision.

"Beau?"

Beau grimaced at the sound of her voice, quickly going into a sitting position while looking down at his hands.

"You lied," Beau eventually said, his voice having a slight, low purr. He was surprised, for he never expected for his voice to be so. . . feral.

"I know. . ." Edythe sighed out, her voice small and barely audible to even Beau's ears, "but, I just couldn't-"

"You shouldn't have made that promise, then," Beau snapped, his anger steadily rising to a new level.

Beau's eyes scanned the rest of the Cullen family, all of them tense and looking a bit confused. A bitter laugh escaped from his mouth.

"You didn't tell them, did you?"

Edythe looked down at her feet, clearly uncomfortable as everyone's eyes averted to her figure.

"What didn't you tell us, Edy?" Esme asked softly, her eyebrows furrowed in worry. Seeing Esme's motherly concern killed Beau's anger, but couldn't sooth the sting of betrayal.

Edythe stayed silent for a few moments before whispering, "Beau never wanted to be a vampire."

Collectively, the Cullens froze, looking at Edythe with flabbergasted eyes.

"Edythe. . ." Esme breathed out, her tone carrying her disappointment. Rosalie was not so quiet with her disgust.

"You, of all people, should know how it feels for your choice to be taken away," Rosalie hissed, her angelic face screwed in anger as she turned on her heel and walked out of the room. Rosalie's reaction was the one that surprised Beau the most. She has always been cold and distant to Beau and his sister, so he didn't expect her to say that on his behalf.

Everyone in the room remained silent before Alice broke the tense silence.

"Let's go hunting, Beau," Alice said quietly, motioning for him to follow her. Beau stood up from the couch, catching a glimpse of his reflection on the glass floor-to-ceiling window. Beau flinched and hurried out of the house, Alice walking slightly in front of him. It wasn't that he looked bad, it was that he didn't really recognize himself in this perfected, monstrous version of Beau. He no longer had the freckles that Maman had said were the angel's kisses, he no longer had the wavy dark-brown hair that was a tad uncontrollable, he no longer had the blue eyes that labeled him as a regular human. Now, Beau's skin was pale beyond belief, his hair fell into disgustingly perfect raven waves, and his eyes were the color of blood.