Chapter 5 : Rèvèlations

Beau sat by his bedroom wall, staring up at his ceiling with blank eyes. There was a slight possibility that he was having a mental breakdown, his mind desperately assembling all of any pieces of evidence proving that Edythe could possibly be a vampire.

From what Beau gathered on his research, vampires are everywhere. From blood-sucking demons who seduced beautiful women, to the classic American sun-haters. Almost every religion, belief, and myth pointed to the existence of vampires through the idea of immortality.

Beau kept circling around in own head, drawing up words and evidence to only contradict himself.

Strength? None of the Cullens visibly displayed superior strength, but what about Tyler's car?

Speed? None of the Cullens visibly displayed superior speed, but how could Edward save Bella in time and (possibly) react quickly by pushing away Tyler's van to save Bella?

Eye color? Beau had no fucking clue what the hell was going on with their eyes. Why did they change color over time? How do their eyes change color?

Beauty? In all vampire lore, they always had stunning grace and beauty. Beau had yet to read a book or see a movie that described a vampire as being ugly and deformed.

Beau sighed, climbing to his feet and starting to pace around his room.

Was Edythe being friendly to Beau so that she could suck him dry of his blood once he trusted her? How many people did Edythe kill a day, just to feed?

Beau's heart almost stops.

Bella.

She could be in danger.

Edward had skipped the first week of school after he shared a class with Bella. Did he take time off to plot her death?

No, Beau rationalized that he must be over-thinking things. Edward saved Bella's life before, and Edythe had saved his. Why go through the effort of saving them if they wanted to kill them anyway?

Maybe Edythe and Edward wanted to be the ones to take their lives. . .

Beau came to the conclusion that he was being over dramatic and that he needed to stop thinking.

Beau walked outside, into the forest, the sunset lighting the trees on fire.

Wait, sunset?

That means Beau was panicking and pacing for a total of three hours. . . Looks like he inherited the worry gene from his Maman, unfortunately.

Beau took in deep breaths, trying to calm his heart rate as he watched the day submit to night. He walked out into the forest, which was thriving with unfiltered, wild life.

Birds were flying back to their nests to settle in for the night. Squirrels scampered up red-wood trees and chattered to other squirrels a few trees down. Rabbits ran, skipping and tripping to their burrows, away from the predators of the night.

Beau settled on a low branch of a tree covered in moss, breathing in deeply to center his thoughts. He continued to do this, clearing his mind and recovering from his almost-nervous-breakdown.

Suddenly, a chill spread through the forest, bringing a mysterious gloom that Beau had only seen and expected in horror movies.

In the distance, he heard a shrill howl, the thumping of paws hitting the forest floor moments later.

The hair on Beau's arms rose up as more howls joined it, just as haunting and ominous as the first. Beau jumped off of the branch he was sitting on and briskly walked back in the direction he came. There was no way in hell Beau would die by being eaten by hungry wolves. Just the idea alone sounded terrible and agonising.