Chapter 4 : Si bon!

Beau was stuck in Biology. Like always.

McKayla walked up to him just as Beau sat down and had asked, "Will you come with me to the spring dance?"

Beau sighed in frustration. It looked like the performance with Jules only encouraged her to try harder. But, there was one thing that Beau definitely knew that was true about all females.

They hated it when you called them the wrong name.

"Mikenzie-"

"It's Mckayla," she interrupted, twirling a strand of hair.

Well, that went no where.

"Listen, McKayla. You seem like a nice girl, but we're never going to happen," Beau said, annoyance leaking into his tone. He didn't want to hurt her, but she needed to know when to give up.

Beau watched as McKayla's flirtatious smile dropped, her eyes glazing over slightly before her face flushed in anger.

"Prick," she mumbled, stomping back to her seat.

Beau was baffled. Did she seriously just call him a prick for saying the truth? That girl was so lucky that Beau had respect for women, because if not, she would have gotten the facts handed to her in a way that wasn't so pleasant.

Finally, the bell rang, and as per usual, Beau expected Edythe to be the first one out the door.

"Beau?"

Her voice sent a shock down his system. It shouldn't sound this familiar. After all, Beau had only heard her voice for about one hour weeks ago, and that was the last contact he had with her since now, even though she was only a foot away. Every. Single. Day.

Beau had stared at her dozens of times, despite his thoughts about leaving her alone, and he was unashamed about it.

Edythe's face was unreadable, and Beau was sure that his was guarded as well.

"Yes?" Beau answered, curiosity eating away at him. Why was she talking to him, again?

Edythe just looked at Beau blankly, not replying.

"Are we or are we not talking to each other?" Beau asked after a few moments.

"Not," Edythe chirped, her dimples flashing.

Annoyance flowed through Beau and he scowled. What kind of game was Edythe playing? Why waste his time?

"Okay then. . ."

Edythe suddenly frowned. "I'm sorry. I'm being a bitch but it's for the best."

Wow, she actually looked sorry.

Beau scanned her face for any hints at what she was thinking. "What do you mean?"

"Its better if we weren't friends, trust me."

Beau's eyes narrowed. If she didn't want to be friends, or make any sort of amends, than why did she start talking to him?

Women are so confusing!

Beau's reaction must have surprised Edythe, for she asked, "What are you thinking?"

Beau bit the inside of his cheek, previous anger from the hospital flaring back up.

"To bad you didn't figure it out earlier, would've saved yourself regret," Beau snapped coldly.

"Regret?" Edythe asked, taken off guard as she raised her eyebrows at the boy she was talking to.

"For not letting me suffer in hypothermia," Beau said slowly, like he was talking to a 5 year old.

"You think that I regret saving your life?" Edythe said in the same tone, quiet but intense.