Chapter 13 : Une Armée à Combattre

It turned out that Edward never came back that night. He stayed with Bella and called Carlisle to let him know that he would bring Bella to the base of mountain to meet with everyone else around nine o'clock in the morning.

For a Friday, it wasn't a very fun nor happy day.

Everyone---including Beau---was on edge and worried about what was going to happen. Alice said that the newborns would come around 5 pm tommorow evening and Carlisle contacted Sam, after Edward's call, to let her know to follow them up the mountain at 9.

Beau packed as many blankets and pillows as he could so that Bella would be as comfortable as possible in her tent, but this winter was bound to make her cold, especially on the mountainside.

The morning was spent in silence, no one talking to each other, no one making a sound.

When it was time to run to the mountain, they all exchanged grim looks and took off into the woods.

It took around 10 minutes of sprinting to reach the base of the mountain, Edward already waiting for them with a nauseated Bella on his back. Beau was glad to see that she was already dressed in winter gear and ready to go with a duffle bag.

Beau forced himself to smile when Bella looked at him, her brown eyes weary and nervous.

Edward shifted Bella on his back and followed them up the mountain. Despite the situation, Beau had to hold back a snort when he heard Bella groan when they took a particularly sharp turn, heading East along the mountain.

In the distance, Beau heard a howl and paws hitting the forest floor. The wolves sounded like stampeeding elephants with how little they were trying to conceal themselves.

So much for subtlety.

When they finally reached the battlefield, Edward gently dropped Bella from his back.

"Bella's scent should lead the newborns to this place if their sense of smell is sharp, but there's no guarantee that they'll find their way here," Edward said, frowning a bit.

They all looked at each other with "what can ya do?" looks, stumped.

"What if Edward took me back down the mountain, and on the way up, I'll put some of my blood on the trees to guide them here?" Bella blurted, picking up a sharp rock from the floor.

The Cullens all looked at Bella in surprise, obviously thinking that it was a good idea. A smirk started to reach Beau's lips at their stunned expressions.

"That's a good idea, but make sure you properly clean the wound after so that there's no risk of infection," Carlisle warned, taking Bella's duffle bag and slinging it over his back.

"Are you going to be okay around her blood, Edward?"

Edward nodded at Carlisle, motioning for Bella to get on his back again.

"I'll go with them to make sure that they know the way to the safe spot," Beau said, handing over his- technically Bella's- bag to Emmet.

As soon as Bella was secure on Edward's back, they took off to the bottom of the mountain.

As expected, on the way down, they ran by the wolf pack, a streak of sandy, blonde fur standing out in the pack of brown and black wolves.

Beau wondered if he would be able to meet Seth in his human form, or if the pack forbade it.

The rest of the run was quite boring. Edward and Bella had a moment when they stopped at the bottom, and Beau pretended that he wasn't there. That was, until Bella sliced open her palm with the rock she had been carrying.