Aftermath

a/n: hello mortals! fair warning-this is my first ever published fanfic-and it is inspired by many others. i'm sorry if the grammar isn't perfect, and with this story you have to just trust the process. this takes place after age of ultron-and after the second giant war... and it's very dramatic... have fun babes!

Pov: Percy Jackson

I walked as steadily as I could to the graveyard, shivering. Not only from the bitter cold biting at my skin-but with rage, sorrow, and regret. If only I had been able to save them-then they would still be by my side. With me right now. I clutched flowers in my hands-careful not to damage the delicate petals. 

Leo, funny and talented. Right now, he would be cracking jokes and lighting up the room. His skills would impress even Hephestus himself. I know that if he were here, that he would tell me that it wasn't my fault-when deep down, he knew that I knew I could never believe that. And that I always wouldn't. But still, he would try and comfort me. I silently placed a flower on his grave. 

Piper, beautiful and strong. She was far from your typical Aphrodite kid. She cared more about the battle than how to make the armor look fashionable-more about her dagger placement than her hair-more about her friends than anything else, her family. And me, I'd made her believe that I could protect her. She believed that we were family-and yet I still found a way to let her down. I placed a gorgeous white rose on her grave.

Frank, as delicate as the flowers in my hands. And he never looked it, either. If you were to look at Frank, you would think he would have a deep voice and judge you by your looks. He looked as if he went through puberty five times-then came back and vowed to work out every single day. No. He was soft and sweet on the inside-and the inside was so easy to see. He wasn't even close to the personality of his father, Mars. Even though a single flare of fire on the piece of wood he carried around could defeat him-he was unbeatable. A delicate flower now laid on his grave. 

Jason, a natural leader. When I looked at his grave, I saw flashes of how he went down. A spear-fully through his chest. His face, not startled, but... accepting? Like, he knew this was how he had to go-but that didn't make it hurt any less. I was so close to him-but yet here I am, standing over his grave. I remember how his blonde hair flashed in the sunlight, and how his vibrant blue eyes could still give you a deadly glare even behind his glasses. Maybe he knew it, maybe he didn't, but secretly-I admired Jason Grace. And now, I had let him die. A placed a flower down, as if that would make anything better. It didn't. I bit my lip to fight back any tears.

Hazel, witty and wise. Even though she was from a different time, she always managed to make sure everyone was happy. Her selflessness was an inspiration to all around her, me included. As I studied the rock that pinpointed her place in the ground-I could imagine her surrounded by gems and jewels of all kinds. The earth was her home, after all. I tried to convince myself that she was safe now, and at peace where she belonged. But I knew that wasn't true. I was just lying to myself to make me feel like I wasn't responsible. But I was. And nothing could change that. Slowly, a flower began to lay over her grave.

Nico, mysterious yet soft. Seeing Nicos death unfold in front of my eyes will forever be one of the most painful things I had ever had to do. In him, I had always seen his sister, Bianca. To me, he will always be the kid that was obsessed with Mythomagic; always needing to collect the rarest gods only to figure out that he was the son of one. He's with Bianca now, with his father, with Hazel. With his family. I chided myself. But I didn't believe it. Nico was my family-like my little brother. I remember when he had fed Mc Donalds to the dead in order to get his sister to speak with him; but that just made the grief harder. And when his boyfriend, Will had found out about Nicos death, he'd disappeared. I knew everyone at camp knew that was my fault too. A smokey gray flower was placed over the dead grass on his grave.

I silently braced myself for the next two.

Annabeth, the love that I'd always dreamed of having. For the years that she'd been in my life, I was the happiest. She was always with me, through the death of my mother, through the death of my stepdad, Paul, through all of the deaths that I had caused. She fed me ambrosia when I was at my weakest; and reminded me how we were going to go to college and grow old. Together. Now, I would be through all of that alone. I remember holding her limp form in my arms, her soft voice telling me that she would be okay- and that she would see me after the fight. I remember her telling me to keep on going without her. I remember her stormy gray eyes going blank. I remember the way that she had her princess-curls blonde hair in her high pony. I remember her last words. I love you, Seaweed Brain. My Wise Girl was gone, and it was all my fault. I placed the last flower over the grave. 

I turned to the potted plant beside the grave that had once been my best friend from Yancy Academy. The one that ran on enchilada days. The one that comforted me the most when my parents were murdered. The one who had found Pan, and who protected the wild with everything he had. My best friend- Grover Underwood. I poured some water on the sprout that had begun to bloom and made a promise to myself that I would bear the burden of coming here every day to make sure that Grover would always stay living. 

Just as I was about to leave, I saw a hooded man standing in front of me. I ignored him, but he eyed me my whole way out...

The weirdest thing?

I felt like I knew him.

So I stayed. Not knowing what to do.