Chapter: 1 My 16th birthday

Morana

It sure doesn't feel like my birthday, even though Mom and my little sister Karis are jumping around the house, covering it in banners and balloons. Hell, I don't even have friends to invite. I have been homeschooled for 16 years which came with no friends or classmates.

Well, I'm special like that, my Mom is the Goddess of Spring and my Dad is human. So that makes me a demigod but unlike my sister Karis. I think there's something wrong with me, instead of all the light in me I feel this lingering darkness that puts me on edge. Also, I feel others' emotions when I touch them. But today it feels amplified, every time I go somewhere shadowy,  I think I hear whispers.  Something's coming. Something feels like it's gonna change.

The doorbell rang, I opened the door in expectation of my Dad being there with my present and the words to tell Mom and Karis to cool down a bit, but instead, there was a man in a black suit with a charcoal grey tie and a fancy car parked in our driveway, something about him was familiar. I asked him his name, he stared exclusively at my face and then smiled at me and said in a crisp British accent "Nicholas Hades, my love,". Hades is a weird surname to have, like in God of Underworld Hades or as in obnoxious surname Hades.

"Oh, and what's your purpose, sir?" I asked, 

He said, "I'm the devil and you're my daughter.".

What the hell? Is he right in the head? I blurted "Woah! weird Halloween joke, mister." his expression changed as if he is surprised. My mom appeared behind me, she looked astonished; I touched her hand and felt nostalgia and fear. I tensed up by now.

The man said "Nice to see you again, Ella." and smirked. His smirk and Mom's fear put me on edge.

My mother seemed to have reluctantly invited him in. I went into my room while speculating that he must be an old friend since only my mom's friends call her Ella instead of Eleanor. My eyes rove over my mirror, reflecting something glowing black and white around my eyes, I'm startled I look again at the mirror, but completely normal blue eyes stare back. I'm really must be not feeling well, I catch my train of thought. But, is he a good friend or is he God Hades? I'm being ridiculous, Hades has no reason to be here. Her fear is what still bothers me. I called my Dad to come home and informed him that some Nicholas guy came to our house. He muttered something about an old college friend named that. I came out to the living room; they were having a conversation about old times.

I sat down with them, besides my mom. He wore a midnight black suit, Armani I think by the cut and colour of it and even his ring it looked like it was an heirloom; it wasn't up to today's style like his suit and shoes and he was well built for a man his age, his breathing was steady occasionally out of rhythm while laughing with my mom about some old prank they pulled off. 

Mom's laugh was fake, you could tell. My hand lingered near hers, she was feeling grim but the kind you would feel about a good memory too long gone to relive again and fear. Why fear?! Occasionally, I would catch Mr Hades' eyes, I don't know why but his onyx eyes looked darker. Everything about him screamed power from his look to his words, power radiated off of him.

My dad came home. As he entered the room, his expression changed to astonishment like Mom's when she saw Mr Hades. Ok, so is this man good news? Because he doesn't seem like one.

 I felt my powers swirling, ready to be used. The man, Nicholas Hades, was sitting down, he said "Ahh, Grayson". My Dad's eyes were narrowed down at him like it looked like if he glared any longer he would burn a hole in Mr Hades. Then my Dad told me to go fetch him a glass of water, I did as he said so, willing to escape that scene as fast as possible.