Chapter:8 A penny for your thoughts

The entire time while riding the horse I was thinking of how to connect to minds and read them. Then, I realized it should be natural to me, something I have never bothered to discover thoroughly because I thought I'd known about it completely. Every time I close my eyes I'd see strings of different colours, I touch them in my mind and I'm reminded of the people around me. How they feel, smell, think I thought of this as an extension of my emotion-feeling powers, but now, I think it might be more. I look back at Karis.

"Hey, so tell me if you feel anything," I told her and she nodded.

 With my eyes closed, I'm in a dimly lit room, with strings around me everywhere glowing. Purple for Mom, Blue for Dad, Pure shining White for Apollo, Silver for Artemis. Finally, a string red fading to yellow like a sunset; my sister's string. I hold it and tug it gently. Karis beside me jolts "Did you do that?"

I smile "Do what exactly?" I feel her annoyance and scepticism.

"I felt like I was... being summoned in a way like you know when someone calls you out of a daze, but the call is more of a mental touch. I sound crazy." Karis explains.

You're not crazy, sister mine. I tug the string and tell her.

Beside me, Karis' jaw drops open. "Mor, Mor, Mor Oh Gods," She freaks for a second "That wasn't my imagination right?".I laugh.

I certainly hope not.

"Nope, definitely not my imagination." She confirms.

Damn, I can mind-speak to you at all times.

"Wait, can I answer back though?" She asks.

Good question, let's test it out. Think about something.

Karis gives me a strange look then shakes her head.

Roses are red/Violets are blue/I'm going crazy/ Because of you.

"Seriously, That's what you were thinking: 'Roses are red and stuff'" I frowned.

She beams at me, and I can feel the string buzzing with happiness and excitement.

I can answer you back.

I look at her, she is smiling wide ear to ear and I don't need a mirror to know that I have the same expression.

Yes, You can. Wanna try something? The moment I finish I can feel her brimming with ideas.

So who will be our victim? Apollo, Dad, Artemis, or Mom.  Karis suggested.

I was thinking of being true to my words and showing her what happened with Hades, but it may dim her down a bit. She doesn't need this, it's not her trauma to carry. So, I may as well play a part in her prank.

They know I have this ability by the way. I informed her. I can almost see the gyres in her head, turning.

But do they know you have learned how to do this? With that being said, my sister gives me a smile that can only be described as evil. We both share laughs and plot our prank.

We went back and forth on who to prank. Midway through planning, my stomach announced it was starving. Karis practically laughed to the kitchen about how loud the grumble was. According to her, it sounded like a trumpet. It most definitely didn't sound like a trumpet.

It sounded like a trumpet. Karis invaded my thoughts, I must have thought out loud. It doesn't make much sense but while I'm connected to her by holding onto her thread we mind-speak, and sometimes I may unintentionally mind-speak to her. I just need to practice more control, but I can eavesdrop on her thoughts but that would be an invasion of her privacy.