Chapter: 11 Don't Piss off an Old Knitter with Knitting Needles

I wake up, groggy to a very angry Nyx, sitting at my desk chair, knitting. It's only morning. One glance at the clock, tells me it's not even 9. What a glorious vision of a knitting escapade, only if she didn't look like she's barely resisting speaking a tirade.

"Nice of you to wake up, foolish one." Nyx's about to bite my head. Hold on, lady! I ain't no Hydra, with an endless stock of heads.

I cough into, my hand; trying to start my hazy brain, only to feel a sporadic throbbing around my temple.

"That kind of charm is supposed you give that headache." She might as well give me another headache. Then, she glides near me and hands me a glass with a suspicious-looking liquid inside.

"It's a tonic for your head." She says, guessing my inquisitive stares at it.

"Good morning," I murmured trying to force that monstrosity of a drink down my throat. One thing about me is if something tastes horrible I make a disgusted face, and I can't help it.

"It tastes bad I know, it's for a hangover, but I know you're not hungover," She clarified taking the glass away from me "It also keeps that headache of yours at bay."

" But you, young lady," She brandished her knitting needle at me " What were you thinking, casting that big of a charm on top of that, spending that amount of your powers all alone, you could have done more damage."

" Yeah, I was paranoid, I mean Nyx how could I not be? The God of literal every single Horror story stalks me," I pushed my nest of hair away from my face, in frustration. " There's some level of security, I need for my family." Nyx's face softens infinitesimally at that.

"Mor, I know but this is no less self-harm." My eyes are wide at what she said.

" I mean Nyx, no I didn't want it to turn out like that, frankly I didn't even anticipate it." I'm against self-harm of every sort.

" I understand, little one but don't commit to such charms, that even adults would fail at." Well, I was expecting a more stern scolding from her.

"Nyx, why did you not tell me?" I look into her grey eyes. Primordial deities can't lie.

" Mor, I couldn't it wasn't my secret to tell." She admitted shamefaced.

" Would you choose him over me?" I know, Nyx cares but she is dutiful and loyal. And I need to know where her loyalty lies.

" No." Nyx means it, and I exhale with relief. I stumble out of bed and stand up, a bit dizzy from last night.

"The floor is suddenly sending me a very enticing invite to plant my face in its bosom." I laughed steadying myself holding onto the headboard. Nyx just shakes her head and laughs.

"Tell you what no one's immune from vertigo, little one." Nyx leans back on my bed, she must have been up all night.

" Nyx,"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you." With that, I run into my bathroom. 

 I methodically showered, scrubbed myself and relished the water. It helped my thoughts clear, turning the dial from hot to cold. Last night's fever all washed away. I find a white sweater and jeans put them on, and step out to Mom and Nyx talking in the hallway. Oh no, Nyx better not snitch on me.

Nyx, don't tell Mom ok? I telepathically begged her. Nyx just nodded.

"Good morning, honey." Mom came to me and ruffled my hair.

 The smell of breakfast beckoned me to the kitchen. This isn't the first time Nyx has shown up without notice in the house but her appearance does bring up a few questioning stares from Mom and Dad. We all settle around the breakfast table, Dad follows all of our moves, especially Nyx's. Well, I guess he has good reason.