Chapter:3 We have not long to love

Mom looks at me, uneasily. She just told me about my birth, the lies and the deal. Mom also told me about Dad. That's where she's wrong.

"Blood doesn't define the strength of relations, it's the people you love and the strength of the love," I told her meaning every single word.

I couldn't give two damn if Dad isn't my biological father, he has been a father in every way and he has been the best in every damn way.

But paranoia's a little shit. I wonder how much is still in the dark. Then my thoughts questioned everything. Then wait is Karis too, I mean I thought I couldn't be someone else's daughter but here I am. Me and Karis sort of assumed we were half-sisters.

But It's better to ask "Is Karis too?" I asked, without finishing the question.

Her eyes widened."Oh, no she isn't." Ok good at least she doesn't need a shock.

"Ok, sooooo anything else. I need to know?" My voice is in an awkward tone.

"No, that is all you need to know." she blew a breath. I hopped off the stool realizing she needed some time alone And then hugged her.

"I love you, Mom, and I'll be in the attic if you need me," I said gently. She nodded. I walked out of the kitchen. I saw a silhouette and then red hair. I passed Karis in the family room, and she half ran to catch up to me. My sister is beautiful, with red hair, blue eyes, and tan skin, and I did not want another conversation with someone else until I figured all this out.

"Hey, you ok?" She seemed concerned. Of course with the way I am acting, I would be too.

"Yep, I'm ok, don't worry. I just need some air." and books about every damned detail about The Underworld.

The last part is better unsaid. My heart speeds up at the thought of The Underworld and the whispers sound louder, it's as if where I am being pulled towards. I look down at my hands and tendrils of dark smoke, shadows dance across my knuckles. My powers are being awakened.

"Mor, hey you there?" Karis' voice drowns out the mutterings of the shadows. I snap my head up

"Yeah, I'm here, so you were saying?" I say to her and she shakes her head at me.

" I was saying that you go read but just make sure to talk to Dad he seems...jittery," she said.

"Yeah, I will go do that now.". Small talk should do it, no it wouldn't.

I knocked on his office door, with a tray of Oreos and two cups of coffee. It's what we did to calm him down.

"C-come in," His voice seemed nervous too.

"Hey, Dad!" I chimed, hoping to sound as optimistic as possible.

I crossed the space to his desk. The space is dominated by a huge mahogany desk with a black leather chair and two smaller chairs in front of the chair, as opposed to the desk, are bookshelves filled with books about law, literature, and biographies, with a brown couch and a coffee table.

Dad, as a lawyer and businessman, always seems so powerful, righteous, and intelligent. No fact stayed hidden from him. He is always so sure of himself, but there are times he is unsure, and that freaks him out. It's like he only steps out of his business shell only in front of us, he is vulnerable.

"So what do I hear? Is Grayson Blackford nervous? What would the news outlets say? Oh dear, the world it's ending," I exaggerate to lighten him up. He chuckles good sign.

"Dad, you know it's fine I understand why you didn't tell me but it doesn't forgive the fact I should have known from you," I say sternly.

He winces "I get it, Mor,".