Chapter:12 Gorgons are stoneheads

I hear slithering.  This isn't a good sign, we are amongst mortals who don't have the Sight. They won't see what killed them. 

"Dammit, Karis why aren't you running ?!" I shout. Echidna the mother of all monsters is standing right in front of us. She is scary. Half of her body is of a serpent, while the top half is of a human, with wings on her back. Echidna smiles with all sharp teeth on display, sending shivers down my spine.

"Hello, godling." She hisses at me "Your lot always made great lunch."

I step back "Not today, serpent lady." I grab Karis' hand and turn us invisible.

Don't even breathe too loudly, she'll hear us.

"Oh godling I know you are still here, I can feel your presence." Echidna snarls.

Don't get in her sight or in front of her! her poisons are destructive, and they don't have antidotes, only Gods have survived them.

The bracelet starts to hum and form a shield of shadow and light around Karis, well I guess I'll have to deal with Echidna since we can't fade and leave her at a parking lot with mortals around. I keep projecting my powers on Karis, as she listens to me and hides behind a car away from Echidna.

Mom! Mom! Echidna's here.  The monster starts sniffing my scent, getting closer. I mask Karis' scent. Why is she even here? Didn't Zeus kill her or something during THE BATTLE OF TITANS? Her rattling tail brushes me and she snaps her teeth 

Who--what, Mor? 

Echidna, mother of all monsters, mother of mine I kinda need your help right now. Fast.

I  hide behind a Subaru, I keep concentrating on hiding our presence but after last night's exertion, I have not fully recovered. Gods , pens and notebooks seem like a stupid idea.

Echidna slithers closer, the rattling gets more frequent as she comes nearer. Wait the rattling? ITS THE RATTLE THING,  that lets her feel out presence ok. 

Karis? Stay behind the car ok? I thought to my sister.

The pendant around my neck pulses as if sensing my plans, I charm my pendant back to my sword. I edge closer on tip toes careful to not even breathe.  The rattling gets louder, deafening almost. 

 "I can smell you godling!" She snarls and drools. Gross has she ever heard of dental hygiene?

I am shaking off the anxiety and mild disgust.  In a second I ran and struck my sword, cutting off the end tail with the rattle. She screams in pain and agony and moves quickly. Oh no, she is moving towards Karis. 

I sprint behind  her removing the invisibility " Honestly woman you want me, I cut your tail off!"

It wasn't until she shoved an entire truck with her tail, I realised it was a stupid decision.

"Go shopping," they said."It would be fun," they said.

Echidna slithers towards me in full speed leaving a slimy trail behind. I hold my sword and ground steady, she charges me with her claws and everything. I reply back with my sword as it slices her arm, causing blood to gush open, and really monster blood stinks really badly. 

I didn't realise we were getting close to Karis. Where is Mom?

Claws came in too fast towards  Karis, the invisibility had worn off. I moved in front of her to take the brunt of the attack when before I could place a shield on both of us did she sink her fangs into my arm.

The white-hot burn of the venom. I went down screaming, she kept biting harder as if to tear my arm off. Mom came in right that second, and vines erupted from the earth binding her arms and tails till she was fully caged in.

Everything revolved too fast. I could hear faint ringing and Mom letting out a guttural scream and someone screaming  my name, and the scent of lavender filled me. 

The darkness swallowed everything.