chapter 16

The following day the young doctor wakes up without the ringing of the alarm clock. Although she has a night shift she has to go after the meeting of Emily's colleagues.

She did not have to pick a shift to work today. But she found it a good excuse if things become awkward between her next acquaintances. Working in a hospital has never been so effective for her to ditch people she was not comfortable being with.

Jennifer decided that she has been laid in her bed for quite some time now, replaying yesterday in her head. The message Gwen sent her, still unanswered in her recent chats. She wishes she could block her out.

The way Sean started talking about her night in Emily's apartment so nochantaly, that she had to turn her attention away from the prying eyes of her friends. And when he mentioned briefly the name of her lawyer, was when hell broke loose.

Matthew Turner

In all of her years working side by side with Claire, she had never seen her put a bad face with any of her patients, no matter who annoying some can tend to be. She always puts a caring face in front of them. But when that name came out of Seans mouth, her face instantly turned into a furious expression.

Later, after the long explanation and reasons she gave for the dislike of the lawyer, Jennifer understood why he had to be on her no tolerance list. He was a player.

A pathetic excuse of a human, in Claire's words.

The older woman had met him at a party, she was accompanying her husband when Matthew presented himself to her. At first he looked like a charming boy. But later, after the endless flirting she tried with her, he requested to go to a hotel with him. She declined, seconds later her own husband punched him, having heard the whole conversion.

Turns out he was at the party because of his engagement to her long time very pregnant fiancé. The daughter of some business man. Whom he charmed and got a prestigious position. He was known as a man whore months later in the news.

Needless to say, Jennifer had to have a few words with Emily, regarding who the hell put her up with such a vile man for a lawyer.

She didn't want her to suffer if that jackass broke her heart, she is her best friend after all. Best friends are supposed to protect each other from the parasites that try to launch on you just to leave you behind when they get what they want.

Going into her kitchen and immediately making her coffee cup, she decided to stretch her muscles a little bit. Running by the new route had left her exhausted by the time she went home yesterday, her whole body ached when she got out of the shower late last night.

She needed something to distract herself with until the time to go out with the brunette girl arrived, she was already sweating just thinking about her friends not liking her. She had already met them once, but they weren't so respòsive towards some of her jokes. Emily was still in the operating room then.

It was not the best introduction she could think of.

But she did hit off with a brown haired skinny boy, who kept asking her endless questions about the operation and the possible state of her friend.

She doesn't remember his name.

She has never been good with names and the new faces she comes across with. Maybe she should stick by that boy when she sits tonight.

Although she can't drink alcohol tonight because of work, which she is secretly glad for.

It's not like she doesn't want to spend more time with Emily, but new people have always scared her a lot.