Chapter 4

[Wall Sina; Trial of Eren Jaeger]

I shut down in the days after the trial.

Going through the motions of preparing for our big mission; training, eating, sleeping. All of it done with robotic precision and muscle memory, my brain on a temporary hiatus.

He noticed; Levi, but he didn't say anything, just watching from a distance. We hadn't spoken since the incident and three days was now our longest record for separation.

I rarely went anywhere without the short-ass, clinging to him like a lost puppy. While he tried to deny it, Levi followed me places too. Although he was more of an angry shadow than a dog.

That's what made the trial so difficult for me.

Eren was new to my life, an unexpected addition. We'd first met when he was still in the Cadet Corps, an eager young student, overly thrilled to meet the legendary 'Fox'.

I took a liking to him instantly, going out of my way to help the kid train with his ODM gear and master his fighting techniques. I couldn't place why, and I still don't know what made me so compelled to befriend him.

He's like my younger brother, always there and always irritating but I protect him and he comes to me when there's a problem. Now, I hadn't spoken to him in days.

For the first time in years, it was just me, myself, and I.

"An architectural marvel, don't you agree?"

We had been traveling for hours, our horses keeping a steady pace as the Special Operations Squad, and Eren made their way to a new home base.

"A proper royal residence once upon a time; and more recently our former headquarters." I stared at the back of the blonde man, rolling my eyes as Oruo donned his best Levi impression, as per usual.

"Fancy, yes. But absurdly impractical once the Scouts got down to business. Much, much too far removed from either river or wall." Oruo kept talking, leaning over to Eren, who rode next to him with a hood thrown over his head. "This was the early days for us, you understand. Hopes soared high. Now, this opulent bauble is little more than a holding cell. The place where we store our newest toy."

Eren turned around, ignoring me, his eyes set on the Captain. They went wide with fright and he turned forward again quickly, his head downcast.

"Do not be deceived, greenhorn." Oruo moved, pulling himself right up alongside Eren's horse. I narrowed my eyes but remained in my position beside the Captain, fingers tight on the reigns. "Don't be expecting the royal treatment. Whether you're Titan or human, don't imagine for a second that we all share the good Lieutenant's enthusi-"

His horse slipped. Blood poured out of Oruo's mouth as he held his tongue delicately, sobbing like a baby.

"Perhaps if you'd kept your mouth shut, we could have avoided this unfortunate tragedy." My comment cut through Oruo's whining and the ash-blonde turned to face me, mouth wide and saliva dripping down his chin. "Close your mouth, you'll catch flies."