Chapter 7

[Wall Rose; Eve of the Counteroffensive]

My fingers curled around the dagger under my pillow, muscles tensing in anticipation.

The intruder paused in the doorway, their feet forcing the wood to creak. I took a deep breath and kept my eyes shut, feigning sleep.

There was a quiet sigh, then the shuffling of clothes. I didn't move, barely breathing. My trained ears tracked the person around the room as they quietly tried to make their way toward me.

Then, that familiar scent hit me.

Levi.

My body relaxed, white knuckles gaining color as I released the knife.

He finally reached the bed, moving slowly to not disturb me. I waited patiently for his body to settle in next to me and as his warmth seeped through the sheets, I momentarily forgot that we'd been arguing only an hour ago.

Levi's always been warmer than me. He was my personal heat, his warm skin reserved only for my freezing fingers. I'd forgotten that in the last few days.

He sighed and let his muscles release their tension, keeping himself on the edge of the bed and away from me. Based on his breathing, he was facing the ceiling, most likely with his hands at his side awkwardly.

We were stuck in a silent waiting game. I still had no idea if he knew I was awake but I sure as hell wasn't going to tell him.

Finally, after almost ten minutes of awkward tension, he moved.

Levi shuffled towards me, hands reaching out in the dark for my body. His warm fingers curled around my waist, barely touching the fabric of my hoodie until he had completely encompassed me in his arms.

Then, he pressed his palm against my stomach and gently pulled me towards his chest, twisting my body to face him.

I didn't resist and I didn't say anything as he let out a small sigh of relief at our contact.

He was so warm.

Even though I was taller than him, he still managed to tuck me under his chin and curl around me protectively. I let him, melting into his heat.

"I'm sorry."

His whisper was painful; as if it had to claw its way out of his throat and into the air between us.

"I broke my promise."

I opened my eyes, not bothering to pretend I was asleep anymore. Looking up at him, my lashes barely brushed his chin and he jerked his face towards mine at the contact.

Levi's face was the same stone mask he wore all the time, no emotion laying across the soft skin. But his eyes... his eyes spoke a thousand stories, they held a hundred years of guilt and grief.