Chapter 6

[listen to Home - Edith whiskers (slowed)]

[Wall Rose; Eve of the Counteroffensive]

I stopped, turning on a dime to face whoever had said my name.

Levi was leaning on the wall outside the door, a foot against the wood. He pushed off, taking slow deliberate steps to meet me in the middle of the hallway.

"Follow me to my office?" It was framed as a question, but it wasn't one.

I nodded, falling into step with him. Every night we would meet up in one of our offices and go through all our required paperwork; writing reports, signing off for equipment usage and checking the health records of each soldier.

It was hours of tedious reading and writing, but necessary to keep the Corps up and running, the unfortunate side of being a commanding officer.

We were behind though, due to the trial and the aftermath of that, so tonight's work would probably go into the wee hours.

Making our way through the castle in comfortable silence, we eventually stopped in front of another set of large wooden doors.

Levi pushed them open without pause, revealing his large converted office space. It looked like it had previously been a private dining room with large bay windows and plush red carpeting.

We sat down at the same time, a wide oak desk between us. Without a word, he handed me a stack of papers and a quill, placing a jar of ink between us on the table. We got to work, not wasting time with small talk or commentary.

By the time we finished, the sun had set behind the horizon and a gentle red glow barely grasped at the sky. I leaned back in my chair, my cramped hand laying at my side and my head thrown back.

The room was full of soft red light, a gentle breeze blowing in from the open window. The sounds of the night coming alive could be heard.

It was peaceful.

A strange grunt came from Levi, and my neck muscles strained to pull up my head so I could look at him, raising a brow.

He had a fist under his chin, long strands of hair brushing his cheekbones as he slowly leaned forward. A small smile pulled at my lips, watching him struggle against mother nature as she called him to sleep.

The light in the room provided a halo around his head, making his dark hair appear brown and giving his skin a nice tan.

I watched fondly until his arm slipped, reaching my hand out and holding his forehead before it violently hit the desk.

"Levi." No response.

"Levi..." I leaned forward, gently setting his head down. He still didn't reply, soft breaths escaping his lips and fogging the surface of the desk.