7. Exchange of Rage

The alleys of the Medinikhand's palace could be deemed dark. It was an old structure with a plethora of crannies left untouched by the eyes for several years now, yet for me, the place was like a playground where I had spent years of my life. The old parts of the palace especially crooned to me; pleading me to uncover various secrets and mysteries it had securely nourished into its obscure folds but with much effort, I tried to subdue my fascination and marched closer to my room. If my mother finds me in such a state- my training would surely be done for and all my ambitions would take a major toll just because of my lack of capability to wield a sword.

Just as I entered my room, I heard a familiar voice gasping at my state. It was the voice that I held a deep abhorrence for. Though for others, the voice was sweet as some hymn of an angel, it was like the most repulsive entity to me, the voice of Nirmala.

"Rajkumari-" She rushed by my side but stopped mid-way due to the stench of sweat coming from me. Taking the edge of her dupatta, she covered her nose as if she has smelled something repugnant- must be the muck on me, but I cared least. Walking further inside my chamber, I just nodded to acknowledge her presence.

If it would have been my previous life, she would have gotten a much warmer welcome but Vijetri of this life is different. I won't be affable to a possible enemy of my future nor I would like to have her anywhere near me.

Must be my lack of proper response that Nirmala found something off about me and stood there, waiting for me to reach out for her but I had something else in mind. Without saying further, I went to the bathing area to take a bath, utterly ignoring the girl's presence.

Time passed and in about half an hour, I came out of the bathing area, all cleaned up; Nirmala was still there, seated in the corner of the room.

My maids, knowing that I had a blissful relationship with her must have taken care of her needs but this angered me further. The events of my past life kept on flashing forth my eyes whenever I saw her smiling like someone while getting favors. Her face angered me, the face that held an innocuous feminine charm- one that bewitched Urjit and led to the fall of my family.

With a quick motion of my hand, I dismissed all my maids leaving me with Nirmala alone. There was silence prevailing for a long time, the only sound that could be registered was one of the temple's bells in my garden. I won't lie, it was uncomfortable to face her like this. Beneath my long silk skirt, I felt my legs shaking but thankfully my fear was not evident in just one glance.

"Vijetri! How are you?" Nirmala rushed to my side with her usual enthusiasm. It felt so sweet despite me knowing her real face and for a second, I felt guilty for contriving all those thoughts for her but then the face of Bhumija flashed before my eyes, making me harden myself.

'What are you even doing?' A voice inside my head chided, 'Embracing the root cause of your death?' It questioned, silencing all other guilt I had in my mind.

Nudging her away from me, I looked at her with a blank face, one that veiled all my unease. "Haven't mother asked you to call me Rajkumari?" I questioned her, more like reminded of the difference in status among us.

Sensing my cold shoulder, she backed away a little with an astonished line written on her face, never have I ever treated her like this. Her lips were pressed together and with her widened eyes, a teardrop was articulated- as if I have done something sinister to her.

"Ye- yes, my bad. I totally forgot the palace rule. Forgive me Rajkumari, but weren't you the one to previously pardon me from all these decorum? Regardless, I should have followed that but in this long period of two weeks," She paused and walked closer to me, trying to hold my hands, "I was just too excited to meet Rajkumari."

"Just two weeks and you forgot the palace decorum? My, my. I think you should clear your memory up by writing the rule book of palace etiquettes for at least five times." I almost sneered looking at her. "As for your excitement, why didn't you come to meet if you were so anxious for the same?" I queried with an eyeroll.

"I-I," Her stutters made her look vulnerable as if she would break anytime but with a gulp, she continued, "You fainted when we went to the garden- the reason behind your sickness was blamed on me by your mother, hence I was unable to enter the palace. Please Rajkumari, don't blame this on your mother." Sniffling, she answered me.

If it was any other day of my past life, I would have gone into a full brawl with my mother but in this lifetime, I knew my priorities.

"Are you perchance blaming my mother, Nirmala?" I scrunched my eyes. "Because never did I say anything of inculpating her in all this time."

Her stance stiffened with my reply and her orbs dilated in fear, reflecting my fierce expression in them. "You do know the price of pointing at your ruler, don't you?" I sneered, making her back down a few steps.

"Rajkumari must be joking," She answered almost as stiffly as her shoulders, her hands clasped together while her fingers dug on the either palm. "I never meant that."

"What you meant is not a point to be marked, such words are never meant to be uttered. I hoped you had the sense to discern that, didn't you?" I raised my brow and looked at her with nonchalance. "I hope you would rectify your mistake because this entire conversation would be reported to my mother. Worry not, she won't blame you... much."

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Rajkumari- princess

Dupatta- a long piece of cloth used to cover upper body by women

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

How is the chapter?

I hope you liked it.

What do you think of Nirmala?

Don't forget to vote and comment on the chapter!

See you later!