12. Peculiar Proposal

The proposal resounded in my head, leaving me awestruck by his peculiar way of advancement. Turning to Nirmala, I witnessed her equal astonishment regarding the proposal as the one written on my face. Such a direct approach was something neither of us ever suspected even in our dreams but Nyrvig said all this effortlessly.

"How about I say no and inform my father regarding the coalition you have with the traitor here? Have you forgotten my status as a princess?"  I somehow mustered. Though I knew they must have some backup plan else, they wouldn't have revealed their motive to me. 

My thoughts were correct as this time Nirmala burst into a series of laughter leaving me a bit confused at such a reaction.

"We would be gone before they reach us Rajkumari," She informed me, "If yesterday you had shown interest to Urjit, surely there would have been some causality in our plan but your reaction- tell me Rajkumari what was that for?" She smirked, making me feel vulnerable for some time.

"Are you trying to bully my future consort?" The voice of Nyrvig interrupted us, making me realize that I am not bound to answer them but leaving too was not an option as the life of my brother was on the line. Surely, I have faith in the guards of Medinikhand but god knows what information Nirmala procured to give them confidence regarding the assassination.

"My Liege, Rajkumari has yet to agr-"

"I am ready to marry you but I too have my demands." A fierce growl escaped my lips due to the irritation I held from being cornered. "I need answers."

Nyrvig nodded at my proposal and sat back on the dinky stool he has been occupying since the start. "Why do you want to marry me?" That was my first question.

"Isn't it obvious Rajkumari? Getting the pearl of Medinikhand is like acquiring the neck of the state. I don't think your brother would do anything to harm the happiness of her dearest sister, now would he?" The smirk on the lips of Nyrvig was quite evident making me want to wipe it away in that very instant but I was bound in their net of planning to do anything as such.

What he said was indeed true, regardless of all the squabbles present in the family to obtain the throne, one thing that they have in common is- them having unconditional love for me. If only Medinikhand followed the general law of succession, things would not have been messy as such but since the establishment of the nation, we follow a rule where the ablest of the sons get the throne, leading to all this grabble amongst my brothers.

"My only concern is my safety and the ambitions of your Aditya would soon be extinguished once we are married. Don't you think it is a win-win situation darling? Medinikhand would get a strong ally namely Shakya Pradesh and I would get a secured life without a single drop of blood being flown." He said with a peculiar merriment in his voice. 

It was a bit scary to witness anything as such where your life feels like a game for another person and you are nothing but a puppet of the person's hand. Sadly for me, there was no source of comfort I could find; there was no sight of Chanchala nearby, I must have lost here in the hurry. What a fool I was to take action without planning it for even a second.

"If this is the only reason, then I accept this union but I demand the respect a princess should get while selecting her husband. You have to take permission from my parents and there should be a proper ceremony." I feared that with his bizarre attitude, he might elope, taking me to Shakya Pradesh at that very moment.

"Of course, this would happen, why did you think otherwise?" The amusement on the countenance of Nyrvig grew as if he was unaware of the afflictions he made me go through in our short meet. "Regardless, don't you think it is a bit late? You should be in the palace currently."

Again, his words were nothing but true, the sun was shining brightly overhead though its brilliance was veiled by the shade of sweet shop the humidity in the air was still more than evident.

"I was with Chanchala, I can't just leave-"

"She has been informed regarding your return to the palace, my men are quite resourceful. Aren't they?" He cut amidst my statement with his usual smile.

"Is she even safe?" I queried, my heart thumping against my chest because this man, he was nowhere innocuous as he seems. Though his face was placid, with an arc on his lips, it held the power to grow dread in one's heart without much trial.

"Yes, she is safe, for now. Again, why are you asking such obvious questions? Are you perhaps, scared of me?" He chuckled as if it was something amusing that he encountered and with that my patience grew thin.

Slap!

I slapped him hard on his cheek. My eyes were the harbinger of my sorrows and a tear slithered down my cheeks. 

"I hope this would be enough for a reminder that you are talking to a Rajkumari." I seethed, my jaws clenched and my palms were burning due to the slap. "I am not scared of you. Bring on whatever game you have in mind, we shall see what the future holds."

With that, I left him and Nirmala at the shop and headed to the palace.

"She is indeed interesting." Was the last sentence I heard articulated by his lips and I stepped out of the region; hoping for my mother's mercy when I reach my abode, the palace.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Rajkumari- Princess

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

(at some point in the future)

Nirmala: So what's it like being married to Vijetri?

Nyrvig: once I asked her for water while she was pissed at me, and she brought me a glass of ice and said "wait"

Nirmala:

Nyrvig, heart eyes: I'm in love with her

Hello peeps! How was the chapter?

What are your thoughts about Nyrvig?

Today's meme is by gildedwolves 

Chapter dedicated to orchid2405 for voting on all the chapters. Love you for the support!