23. Trial Revealing Past

The royal court was filled with the chatter of ministers and important dignitaries of nearby kingdoms. Words, news, and gossip were spread throughout the hall, for anyone to hear. Irrespective of this, my mind was lost in the terrains of nervousness and questions. The last day's events were still fresh in my mind, reminding me of the promise I made to my citizens. In my last life, I hardly did anything much to serve my title as the princess, but hopefully, I won't do the same in this lifetime.

All the chatter ceased as soon as the herald announced my father's arrival, the king of Medinikhand, in the court. All of us stood up to pay our respect to him, in return, he held his head high and walked down the aisle to the throne.

Reaching his destination, he took a seat while nodding subtly at us, indicating us to do the same. Piles of cases were stacked, one after another; some of the finance, others of security, and the remaining dealing with general affairs of the kingdom. I remained seated at my seat, listening to the cases as they passed by but my attention was concentrated on the spice problem that was yet to be presented before the court.

Finally, our turn arrived and I came out of the veiled part and walked near the center of the court. My head held high and determination set in my eyes. I joined my sweaty palms, the only sign of my nervousness, and bowed to the king before signaling a servant to get the spices.

"Your highness, I have come forward to you, representing the commoners and their issues related to spices."

"Spices?" I heard a confused voice from somewhere in the middle of the courtiers. I glanced in the direction before I heard the same voice continue. "What is the issue related to spices, Rajkumari?"

"Spices are a staple need for our citizens. Whether it be our daily food or the medicines that we use. Someone has maligned these spices and is selling them in the markets." I took a brief pause to check on everyone's expression and to calm my nerves. I felt my blood pumping through my veins, reminding me of the gazes scrutinizing my every word and deed.  

"I bring forth the sample of the spices from our local shops, Your Majesty. The chili powder is mixed with red soil, the turmeric is mixed with chalk powder painted yellow and the list goes on. These spices are a threat to the health of our citizens. The upper class receives exquisite and imported goods and thus is safe from this. But the locals, are suffering and harming their health by consuming these spices. I request his highness to look forward to this issue and liberate the poor from their sufferings." My monologue caused a buzz in the court, arousing discussion among the ministers.

There was a moment of chaos but it took a mere word from my father to silence the entire area. His eyes scanned through the court, looking at the visage of every minister present there like a hawk searching for his prey before landing on me.

"The court thanks Rajkumari Vijetri for bringing up the issue forth us." There was tenderness in his eyes, relaying me the pride he held due to me helping out the citizens but it soon changed its target. "Does the court has anything to speak about related to the case?"

Upon hearing this sentence the silence prevailed except for the screech of one chair. The prime minister, Sarthak Dev, stood up. His scar twitched in annoyance that was reeking from his eyes; making me wonder the reason behind this.

I scrunched my brows, trying to remember the ground of his displeasure when it hit me. In my last life, dozens of people were admitted to the hospital due to adulteration in the food, it was rumored that the prime minister somehow was involved in this. Though they were subtle whispers, they reached my ears but at that time I cared least for I was busy preparing for my wedding. 

'Was the prime minister really guilty for all this?' I mused, trying to see through his motive behind such a heinous act when he started speaking.

"The claims of Rajkumari are indeed very amusing, albeit grave too. It needs to be taken seriously. I wonder if Rajkumari could procure the criminal who dared to sell such substandard material in the capital itself." His scar twitched again as if he was pleased with himself for selling short this case.

His words clearly showed that he had little to no inspiration for solving the case and finding its mastermind who would be most benefitted from committing this crime. Instead, he wanted to close this case by eliminating the shopkeeper as a scapegoat which I was not ready to make happen.

"Indeed, the shopkeeper must be very daring to sell such adulterated item to our citizens but the issue with this is- there is an entire network of traders selling the item instead of just one." I answered, trying to avoid the deadly aura seething from him.

"What are you suggesting Rajkumari?" He queried while his eyebrows were wide apart in astonishment at my answer.

"All I am suggesting is, that there is a huge network of traders who are selling these substandard products to us. There could also be an insider who is involved in all this but this could be false too; it is my mere assumption. This needs to be investigated thoroughly." I stared into his eyes while answering his query which I felt was the bravest thing, considering I hardly ever dared to look directly at him.

"So you are suggesting something as bold as such just based on your assumption Rajkumari?" Sarthak Dev caught onto my weakness and probed further. 

In actuality, I had no proof regarding the insider and this was something that weakened my case; something I could not afford to have.

"The spices before you are not an assumption respected Prime minister." I tried to strengthen my stance by raising my chin a little high when I made eye contact with my brother Aaditya who was seated just beside the prime minister when memories started to reveal themselves and pieces of puzzles started to join together.

In the last life, it was my brother Aaditya who was given the case of solving the problem of adulteration in spices. He tried to reveal the convict but his investigation was deemed a failure leading to him getting thoroughly berated by our father.

Nirmala was the daughter of the prime minister and she works for Nyrvig who has deep animosity with my brother. This all was a ploy to grab onto my brother. All these lives were compromised just because one guy-

Before I could think further the prime minister refuted my claims again. "Pardon me Rajkumari, everything but these spices is based on your assumption. How can we probe further into the case if the base is this weak?"

"The case is not weak, it needs to be divulged further. I am sure the Prime minister understands what all this could lead to." I answered with gritted teeth and furrowed eyebrows while trying to get a glimpse of Nyrvig, my major perpetrator. 

"Rajku-"

"Enough!" The voice of my father concluded our debate in an awkward stop but his gaze seemed as if the verdict was ready for him, making my breath go hitched.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Rajkumari: Princess

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hello peeps!

How was the chapter?

Did you like it?

Please make sure to vote and comment.

Till then bye bye!