17. Loyal Fox

There was chatter permeating the symphony of footsteps of the palace, there was some gossip brewing amidst the folds of lips that I was unaware about. Must be the new guest of the palace who has come forth for my hand after the news of Nyrvig proposing to me in the court itself pervaded the entire Aryavart. 

After that incident, my number of suitors has considerably increased with them thinking I have held a swayamvar for myself by giving Nyrvig a chance but on my conditions. I can't blame them for this ideology because my brothers too are taking this as something of the same sort. 

Almost every day, Nyrvig is invited for a sword duel, equestrian, archery and other such activities along with other princes who dared to come for my hand. Not to say further, many relinquished their thoughts of marrying me and returned to their states, except one, Nyrvig. 

If I didn't know better, I would have thought that he really liked me and was exerting himself this much for my sake but this was not true. He is like a puzzle that remains unsolved despite my efforts to decipher it. But today, I hope for it to be decoded anyhow for I was finally granted permission to leave the palace by my mother.

Sitting in the palanquin, I took a deep breath, hoping for the best on this journey but I knew the person whom I am going to interrogate won't answer me easily. There are also chances for him to not answer me at all but for now, I am not considering it as an option.

The caravan of my people moved ahead, making way to the city. It was still the same, overcrowded yet considerably clean; a place that boomed with trade and prosperity. Through the sparsely parted curtains, I drank at the sight of joviality where children ran on the streets, following the caravan and had little care of present while the adults chattered with one another, bowing to my palanquin as it passed them.

Finally, after half a prahar we reached our destination, the prime minister's house. Towering the huge garden ahead of it, the place's wall felt chillier than that of the palace. With walls covered in gold and gems embedded on various statues decorating the place, the house screamed of pompous flamboyance and was just a step below from being called tacky.

There were hardly any flowers in the sight and if one watches for too long, the gold blinded the eyes of the seer. Despite all this, there was exuberance in the air of the minister's abode as girls were running around, holding up their attire while the boys continued with their practice after greeting me.

"Pranipat Rajkumari," One of the chief maids of the house greeted me. Her tip of the eyes held wrinkles that were highlighted by her smiling while the cream saree she wore highlighted her dusky countenance. "Let me inform Kumari Nirmala regarding your arrival. She would be overjoyed."

"Sure, why not? But there is also a request from my side," I bit my lower lip to bring forth an effort for dealing with this issue, "May I also get the prime minister's presence during my stay here?"

My tone was innocuous but the demand was something that a mere maid could not fulfill this easily. Her eyes widened, she was in a tough spot for she can neither refute my demands nor could barge into the prime minister's study with my demand of his presence.

"Rajkumari was seeking me?" A voice boomed on the premises, marking his presence.

There stood the prime minister, caressing his round belly while his eyes fluttered just a bit- highlighting the scar that he received in a battle before I was even born.

"Yes, I was," I said, trying to muster the confidence and not shudder before him.

In my last life and even in my current one, I was unable to speak forth this guy. His looks itself was too scary to make me tremble, let alone his aura that felt too murderous and cunning to me. I tried to hold my stance for which he smirked and directed me inside his abode.

There Nirmala was seated on a settee with her parrot green lehenga brushing against the floor while the gems embellished on the skirt sparkled when sunlight coated them.

"What good deeds did I do to be graced by the Rajkumari's presence?" His voice turned hoarse in the end as if he was stifling his laughter while calling me Rajkumari. It was like he was questioning my right over this title but he won't be wrong if he questioned me regarding what I did to be worthy of this title- I have never done anything to serve my citizens and I am guilty of it.

"Betraying the nation could be one of them."

Surprise washed over his face for a brief moment before it was back to his phlegmatic features. "What is the proof of there about that, Rajkumari?" He gritted through his teeth. 

"None. And that is not the reason I am here. I wish to talk to you about Rajkumar Nyrvig." I came straight to the point. Being near his aura was making me nervous and thus I did not wish to beat around the bush. I was hoping he would give me answers soon if he would wish to give them that is.

"And why would I?" I knew he was not going to give me any information so easily. He had always worked for his benefits and talking about Nyrvig was not giving him any.

"If you wish a better future for Nirmala, you would. We won't want her gone to some faraway land because of some royal decree, now could we? Besides Nyrvig is my to-be husband, collecting information about him shouldn't be something taboo, now is it?" I tried to reason with him but it was of no avail, he stick to his judgment and shook his head.

"You still have a long journey to walk Rajkumari. You are still a child." That was all he said before leaving the room occupied by only me and Nirmala.

"I guess our meeting is over now." Nirmala sighed and adjusted herself to a more comfortable position. 

With this, my futile journey to the Prime minister's abode ended. Sitting on the palanquin I looked away trying to withhold my tears of shame when something caught my eyes...

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Swayamvar- a practice where the bride selects her groom

Pranipat- A greeting done by juniors to the elders

Lehenga- An Indian attire

Rajkumari- Princess

Pahar- a collection of 3 hours

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hello!

How was the chapter?

Did you like it?

If yes then d make sure to comment and vote.