26. Establishment of Truth

The alleys of the palace were dark as usual with torches lit at a certain distance to contain even a whisp of light one could get. It was silent too, like always and the only sound was the jingle of my anklets articulated by my hurried footsteps. 

There were tears in my eyes and the suffocation was excruciating. The decision I made was the reason behind all this. I failed, failed yet again to bring justice to the apple of my eyes, my Bhumija. She must be cursing me right now, it was after all the culprit behind her death whom I was marrying.

'They are yet to be verified.' A part of my conscience refuted to believe the reasoning while the rest of my mind agonized over the fact of me losing again.

I had no choice but to agree with the proposal of Nyrvig, to evade our possible deaths, this was mandatory. I couldn't have just wagered my brother's life for Shakya Pradesh is not a simple power that one could trample with. It was Nyvig's benevolence to indulge in my shenanigans of all this competition and all, but there is an end to everything; I cannot venture on his patience further.

Swiftly, walking through the corridors I made my way to the chamber that wasn't well lit. The thick aroma of different herbs concocted together to make medicines wafted to my nose, relaxing my nerves just a bit; it was the chamber of Nyrvig.

The guards of the area bowed to me, stationed at their posts to tend to every need of the resident inside. Their posture straightened further to advertise their diligence but my mind was somewhere else to even command them to relax. With a hasty wave of my hand, I dismissed all of them from their station and went inside the chambers ignoring the call of Chanchala to stop me.

It was indeed unseemly for a princess to just gust inside some other male's room but I cared least. Anyhow, we are going to get married soon enough. According to Raj Purohit, it should be Ekadashi of next month.

The preparations were all started, everyone seemed happy- except one, my brother Aaditya. There was a tinge of defeat in his voice when he congratulated me. It felt as if he was the lost soldier of some war a comparison I would never want my brother to be associated with.

"What is Rajkumari doing here?" The voice of Nyrvig brought me back to my senses while I watched the Vaidhya rushing around, tending to the wounds of Nyrvig. They were nothing deep but there were several small scratches throughout his torso that were highlighted under the soothing sheen of lamplight.

I stared deep into his obsidian eyes, they held specks of mischief in them as if the wounds that he was bearing on his body were not his but mine to care about. Not to say much, it annoyed me for a bit but the attraction I felt for him made my heart flutter just a bit.

'Bhumija.' The voice in my head reminded me of his deed in my past life and my reason for being here.

"Say Nyrvig, would you answer my certain queries?" I walked closer to his bed, there was an extra sway of my hips while the smile on my lips spoke a secret of its own. He gulped looking at me before nodding frantically. 

"Why did you want me to marry Urjit first? Don't try to refute it, Nirmala, your lackey was the one to bring me that portrait." I whispered while getting closer to the torch-lit beside his bed. 

My face glowed against the golden light from the torch while I felt its heat radiating on every uncovered part of my body.

"This was my plan in the past, it doesn't need to be talked over." He replied while sitting straighter. His lips twitched into a half-smile but the mischief in his eyes dwindled, much like the fire of a torch that swayed along with the gales of Medinikhand; casting a contour on our bodies.

"You planned to demolish the entire royal family of Medinikhand." I answered for him, making his eyes go wide. Walking closer to him, my smile widened but the rage inside my heart remained locked.

"Now please narrate the entire plan, would you?" I asked with my baritone just above whisper and eyes scanning through various shadows on his body. The entire group of Vaidhyas stopped at their position and with a languid sway of my hands, I dismissed them. They knew better than me what happens when one gets too involved with the royal family, so their silence was definite.

"Okay." He took a deep breath and looked away. His brows were furrowed, trying not to hitch while speaking but his lips still trembled, "The initial plan to tackle your second brother was quite big and gory. Sarthak Dev and I had one common interest, not letting your second brother come into power. According to him, your second brother is too emotional, making him incompetent to hold any high post."

He took a deep breath and looked ahead, analyzing the dance of the fire in the torch of the adjacent wall before continuing, "We came up with a plan that involved the requirement of a chess piece who would work according to our requirement."

"Which was me." I started taking steps away from him and close to the torch, he had been staring at for a long now.

"Yes, we planned to make you marry a prince of some small kingdom so that it would be easier for us to get that person on our side, it was Urjit of Chaitanyagadh." He took a gulp, wetting his throat that seemed oddly parched but I cared least, and continued walking to the fire.

"Obviously, our plan failed as you were nothing like the rumors and wanted no relations with Urjit for some reason which led me to take my second plan which was to marry you and forsake the prime minister." He narrated his entire ploy while I brought my hands closer to the fire, burning them just a little.

On witnessing my action, he rushed by my side despite all his bruises and wounds, making my heart flutter for a bit and grabbed onto my hand.

"This..." His lips parted but no words followed and his grip on my scorched hand loosened.

"...Is a reminder that I have to burn several times more to rise again." A smile articulated on my lips and I intervened my fingers to his.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Ekadashi- 11th Lunar day

Raj Purohit- Royal priest

Vaidhya- doctor

Rajkumar- Prince

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hello people!

How was the update?

Did you like it?

If yes, then please vote and comment. It helps to boost confidence.

Meet you guys in the next chapter.

Till then, bye bye