40. Amidst Rituals

The cold breeze fanned my sweaty face, providing a moment of relief to my body before I felt the pain in my feet again. Laded with my usual jewels, I walked amidst the crowd, my face carrying a smile that masked the pain on my face. Accompanied by four guards, Chanchala and Nyrvig, who walked a distance behind us with a black cloth that covered his face, I walked on the cool yet rocky and coarse land of Sakhya Pradesh.

My mind was feeling drowsy, perhaps due to the fast I was asked to maintain, and my feet were sore and nearly bleeding. It was almost the end of the second pahar after sunrise and the sun was shining brightly over us. Eventually, we crossed the borders of Bhagwatprastha, near the mountainous forest and Nyrvig decided to approach me.

"You seem tired."

His voice was concerned when he approached me, holding my hands, and helping me to climb the rocks and uneven roads. I glanced at him, pissed due to my empty stomach, and smiled at him.

"I am your grace, for all of us did not have the privilege to fill our stomachs this morning." My voice was sharp and fiery, making him glance at me with amusement dancing in his eyes. His reaction made me further pissed and I jerked my hands away from him and took hold of Chanchala instead. 

Nyrvig laughed instead, which fueled my anger and I started moving faster causing pain to both me and Chanchala. I slowed a bit when I heard her hiss due to pain but now we were at a proper distance from Nyrvig, near the stairs that led to the temple.

The temple had a serene environment which made my anger wash away and my mind go calm. I climbed the stairs, a pot in my hand and the usual arc of lips adorning my face. Nyrvig soon appeared by my side, his face uncovered, while he smiled at me. I rolled my eyes at his antics but continued to walk beside him to the idol.

We offered our prayers when I felt a strange feeling of being observed. I glanced around from the corner of my eyes to avoid suspicion but I couldn't find anything. Still, there was no one in sight.

My body stiffened a bit and I discreetly checked the presence of my dagger and sighed when I found it tucked in my skirt. My body was tight throughout the prayer and when I went to get the water in the pot, I knew that it was not just a figment of my imagination.

All the guards were waiting at the entrance, guarding it, whereas Chanchala was beside me when I saw a shadow lurking in the bushes behind the temple. I slowly moved towards the bush, making sure that none of my jewels made any noise, to take a look at the possible assassin but much to my relief, he appeared to be a normal thief.

My relief was short-lived, and a frown marred my face when I noticed the robber's attention was solely on Nyrvig rather than the living and walking gold machine, me. Before I could think further to confront him, he rushed towards Nyrvig, a small dagger in his hands. I rushed towards him, intending to strike him down by a tackle when I glanced at Nyrvig's back facing us. 

The thief appeared to be well trained as he dodged my tackle and pushed my leg which make me fall backwards. His actions verified that he was not a mere robber and my fear increased. I tanged by foot with his leg, making him fall from his face when I felt Nyrvig rushing toward us. Analyzing the situation, he swiftly retrieved his dagger and launched it at the possible assassin. I tried to stand up, but my heavy attire acted like a barrier to my movement that was usually swift and my ankle was sprained.

I felt a soft hand grab me, trying to lift me and I gazed at Chanchala panickily trying to support me. Her face was determined and moves swifter though I could see the haze of alarm in her eyes.

I glanced at Nyrvig who seemed to have gained an upper hand in the duel. I hastily mentioned Chanchala to leave me and check that the soldiers do not arrive who reluctantly followed my orders. Reclaiming my dagger, I threw it at the right arm of the swindler after gaining a perfect aim and blood oozed out from his arms moments after. He groaned and his movements slowed down due to the dagger embedded in his arms and he slowly started to slump downwards. 

Nyrvig swiftly tied his hands with the help of the black cloth that covered his face and rushed towards me, disquietude evident in his eyes. He helped me get up and gave me support to remain standing when his eyes trailed back to the man. Both faces became phlegmatic making him shiver.

"I would have killed this piece of scum if it was not for this pious temple we are standing in." His voice was laced with venom and I could see the thirst for blood in his eyes. I tightened my hold on him, trying to calm him down which for a bit seemed to work. He peeked into my eyes concern soon washing over me while I simply smiled at him.

He smiled at him, making me sigh in relief due to my success when he turned again towards him. My body stiffened while Nyrvig slowly moved towards the man, taking me along due to my sprained legs, when the man somehow got free from the ropes. He lunged at us with a roar, a dagger suddenly appearing in his hands. Nyrvig twirled me, my sprained leg somehow managing to make me appear behind the man when Nyrvig tried to disarm me.

With one swift choke at his nerves on the neck, I made the man unconscious, a trick Bhrata Aaditya taught me. Nyrvig, for a moment, seemed surprised before his somewhat gruff voice called me.

"What did you do to him?"

I bit my tongue, looking into his eyes when a swift lie escaped my mouth.

"I killed him."

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Pahars- 3 hours

Bhrata- Brother

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

How was the chapter?

Did you like it?

If yes then don't forget to vote and comment.

Meet you in the next chapter.

Till then, byes!