21. Game of Fools

The usually silent corridors of the palace were jingling with the sounds of my anklets yet again. After the short chat with Ashoka, I felt a momentary peace before I again felt the waves of nervousness rise and crash on the shore of my conscience. I was just stalling the time and delaying my visit to the dining room. I had fear of panicking again in the presence of Urjit.  I took deep breaths to calm my heart and mind to get ready to face the doom of my previous life.

While crossing the courtyard my sight fell on the one person I was trying to ignore. Decked in fine silk dhoti, his bare chest glistening with sweats he was practicing his sword moves with the finest precision. For a moment, I was awe-struck looking at his moves and the fluidity held by his body but it was soon shattered.

"Lost somewhere, Rajkumari?"

A taunting voice broke my series of thoughts and my eyes locked with his obsidian black eyes. The usual wise eyes held mischief in them and a smirk was decorating his fine face.

"Just thinking whether Rajkumar does not wish to join the royal feast?"

I matched his mischievous tint and replied to him. With every passing moment, I was growing more comfortable around him. His laughter followed my comment and I could not help but giggle at his antics.

"I am honored that his majesty has considered me good enough to allow me to have a meal with him. I would be a fool to disrespect this opportunity."

He replied in the same baritone as that of Urjit and I could not help but give full-blown laughter at that. There was a momentary awkward silence after our laughter subsided.

"Since both of us are late, would you mind accompanying me to the dining room, Nyrvig?"

I saw surprise flash in his eyes and his stance deformed for a bit before it got replaced by his smirking face. If I was going to marry him, that I surely was, I would need to know him better. I saw mischief flash in his eyes and I predicted he was up for a playful reply.

"How can I deny such a beautiful company? Of course, I would accompany you, Vijaya."

I rolled my eyes at his dramatics and his name for me. 'Vijaya'. Every time I hear from him I feel a fluttery feeling in my stomach. A feeling that I became unfamiliar with after the instance of a prior lifetime. He picked up his violet angvastra and jewels kept on the table nearby and made himself presentable for the dinner.

We both started to walk toward the dining chamber, a comfortable silence between us. My pace was slower and calmer than usual and my mind was not thinking of any negativity that my mind has contrived priorly. His presence provided peace, similar to that of what my family provided.

"You are completely different from what I heard. A good kind of different."

His deep voice broke my trance and made me look at him. He was looking into my eyes, seeking answers to his questions, without realizing I too wish the same. To find the answer to his mysterious ways.

"I am glad that I am better than what people assume me to be. It is very difficult to find an earnest opinion about royals. We have many cloaked faces concealing the real one."

My answer made a small smile appear on his face. He just nodded before looking towards the sky, his gaze focused on the twinkling stars, the hope for people lost in darkness. His actions made me confused and even more curious about him.

"What is your true face, Nyrvig?"

"I would be glad to show Rajkumari my real face, but it seems not today. We have already reached our destination."

His words made me look in front of the gates of the dining chamber. While talking to him, I didn't realize that we reached our destination. I was as if lost in the mysterious lanes of his actions. I sighed and nodded to him before we both started to walk inside together.

"Rajkumari Vijetri and Rajkumar Nyrvig are entering!"

The herald announced in his screechy and loud baritone and with that, both of us came face to face with the people inside. I could see curiosity in the eyes of my family members and anger in Urjit's. I had no idea what he was angry about but I was least bothered about it.

I bowed to my father and mother before marching to my spot next to my mother. The entire space was filled with the aroma of roasted nuts, and fresh fruits while the lentil held its distinct fragrance among this. It was mouth-watering to stay near the huge utensils that held sweets within them but I controlled my urges. While the men sat on their seats to have their meals, we ladies had the duty on our hands to ensure everything is apt for the dinner.

"I again thank his majesty to allow me to share the same room as his while eating."

Urjit's flattery voice broke the silence of the room and all I could do was roll my eyes. I could feel all the members of the room rolling their eyes. My father just replied with a non-committal, half-minded sentence. 

"It is a pleasure of Medinkhand to have you here, Rajkumar" he said while motioning everyone to start eating. 

The feast commenced and everyone started with their meals while my mother and I surveyed the delicacies being served. Dipping a silver spoon in every bowl, we looked after the servings when suddenly a scene caught my eyes. 

A maid was fiddling on her place with a bowl of lentils in her hands. Her face was covered and there was hardly any part of her visage that was visible. What made her even more suspicious was the mark on her hands that she was discreetly trying to conceal. It was a sun insignia, rising from the mountains; the insignia of Chataniyagadh. 

In my last lifetime, I had witnessed this insignia way too many times to forget. 

'What is the person of Chataniyagadh doing here?' I wondered but as soon as I saw her proceeding to Nyrvig, things became clearer. 

Asking Chanchala to get the maid, I ordered Shailaja to pass a letter that I hurriedly scribbled down. The game started without my awareness, it is about time I start to indulge perpetrators from playing petty tricks in front of me.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Rajkumari: Princess

Rajkumar: Prince

Angavastra: A upper garment adorned by men in the anciperiodriod

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hey guys!

How was the chapter?

Hope you liked it!

Do make sure to vote and comment.