Thrills in the Night.

🎙️

Floods of well-dressed bodies, perfumed and wrapped in sparkling suits and dresses, moved to the front of the small stage in the private venue rented for the night. In the middle of the mix of fragrances and light beams visible in the haze, there stood Law, desperately trying to reach the bar counter and hopefully stay in that safe spot until the party ended.

Heart pounded in his chest as he made his way through - too many laughs, smiles, and unknown faces passed him, touching and rubbing against his arms and chest in the process. He cursed yet again at the machines spewing haze planted in the corners of the stage. As if the visibility wasn't low enough, with the scarce wall lamps dimmed and the colorful spotlights that only blinded instead of giving out any helpful light.

In the center, there were countless circular tables set apart with four chairs each - Law could spot Robin's influence on the decor in how the silky cloths, the napkins, and the tableware all matched in terms of color.

He had met the happy pair at the entrance where they greeted him with polite smiles and a small gift bag - Robin's smile grew a little wider before she put an arm on his shoulder and conveyed how happy she was that Law made it. No doubt she thought he would bail on her, as he did on every other party invite he ever got. She would know - she was the one who had to make the calls and cancellations.

For some reason, that saddened Law greatly. He never actually meant to hurt those few people that were close to him. But he did, every time, inevitably, selfishly. And each time, he told himself that he never asked for anyone's friendship. It was those people's fault for expecting something from him, only to get disappointed by their own imaginative expectations. But deep in his heart, he knew they weren't to blame for anything.

Contrary to Robin - the lead organizer of the whole night - and her tired smile, Franky was ecstatic. He towered above everyone in a classic black suit that no doubt was custom-made, one arm around Robin and the other held out in greeting towards everyone. The last time Law had met him was when they were still in the dating phase. It was wild how fast the time passed. It felt as if the world was moving forward, thriving and energetic, while Law remained dormant, stuck between his noxious ambition and seeking his own validation of his own actions.

Tossing the gift bag on the counter, Law reached the bar. Over the overwhelming chatter of the guests, he had to almost shout his order. Then he leaned on a glossy-black stool, with one elbow propped on the counter, and checked his watch. It would only be appropriate to leave after at least two hours from now.

A slight scatter of applause ensued from guests seating themselves among the tables. Low-lying fog hissed out from the machines and swirled around the ankles of the band members as they emerged from backstage. There was a sense of anticipation in the venue now, with people fixing their dresses and adjusting ties to look their best in front of the photographers who would surely want to capture their reactions.

And there were a lot of cameras that night, meaning they must have come for the celebrities - more or less known - and all the likely drama that could take place among them.

Law paid them no attention. He only hoped the cameras would spend no less effort immortalizing the band's, and most importantly, Kid's look for the concert. To say he looked dashing would be selling him cheap. It wasn't about words, though, nor the outfit itself. 

It was about how he made Law feel - with a thudding heart, he couldn't tear his eyes away from the contrast of the milky skin against the pure black of the suit and the leather harness underneath tightened around Kid's imposing chest. A silver ring adorned the crossing of the straps in the middle, reflecting the spotlights.