Showtime.

🎙️

Loud beeping came from the kitchen area as Ace smashed repeatedly into the 'Espresso' button.

Law had been watching him scuffle around, caffeine-sated, ever since he passed the doorstep to the studio at eight AM on the dot. The round plastic clock above Robin's usual worktable now showed 9:34.

"Careful with that, Ace-ya," Law warned from his spot on the beanbag, seeing the coffee cup shaking in Ace's hand. "The floor has been moped just yesterday."

"And it's your third cup today," Robin added.

"I know, I know. I'm just... so excited for you guys. We really did come a long way together, huh?"

Law and Robin exchanged glances.

Aside from watching Ace panic all morning, Law couldn't look away from the one glossy strand of hair that fell from her high bun and ran all the way down to her white V-neck sweater with paint stains on the hem. Because of those little imperfections in her look, it was somehow even more aesthetically pleasing to Law's critical eye.

"It's not like you to stress so much over an interview that isn't even yours. And you don't even like espressos," Law said.

Robin backed him up while her fingers clicked away on the laptop. "Did something happen for you to be so worried? I thought the recent events have taught us that open communication among our group is the best way to solve a problem instead of hiding it away."

Even though nothing about her demeanor suggested she was talking about him, Law still felt a small twist in his stomach at the mere thought of his fight with Kid combined with the stress of his exam. It had been a deadly blend, one that he wouldn't have overcome as quickly without Kid's close company.

Ace rhythmically knocked his knuckles against the counter. "No, it's not stress. Um... Everything is fine, really. Don't worry."

Law observed, almost trying to take him apart with his eyes as if that would make him learn the truth. "Your shirt is on backward and inside out."

Ace looked down. "Oh. Yeah. Um..."

"Ace-ya, whatever it is, I assure you that I can take it."

"I'm sure it's nothing, though. Just, well, some personal stuff happened."

"If there's a problem with Monet, I can always convince her to talk it out," Robin offered.

"I don't think you could just talk this one out." Ace winced as if there was lemon juice in his cup instead of espresso. "It's most likely over between us. Like, permanently."

Law hooked his thumbs around his black suspenders and made them rebounce. Kid was running late. He had a client scheduled for early morning, but he promised it would be quick. Law should have known not to take his words seriously.

"Didn't you apologize to her already?" Law asked. "I'm sure your bouquet brought her to her knees."

"I did, and things seemed fine after that," Ace continued as if he hadn't heard the sarcasm. "Then I figured I would surprise her and bring lunch to her office. She was so happy, and we kinda... well, we kissed a little. And then her boss walked in."

Law looked up. "You mean Doflamingo?"

"Yeah, man, it was weird. He said I wasn't good enough and he wouldn't allow us to date, but Monet just went with it! She accepted it right away and just ditched me like it was nothing." Ace bit his lip. "I really don't get it... And she always looks at him, like... like she would be ready to take a knife to the heart for him any second."