Clearing The Air.

🎙️

The yellow latex gloves squeaked as the sponge brushed against the plate, tiny bubbles popping out. They swirled, then burst as a white paw took a swipe at them.

"I won't catch you if you fall in the sink, Bepo."

"Meow."

With the remnants of spaghetti sauce finding their way down the drain, Law wished his thoughts would have gone with them, ran with the water far away until they dissolved in some huge tank on the outskirts of the city.

He couldn't get the studio of last night out of his mind. Shame burned at his neck, regret scratched at his throat and the image of Kid's lipstick imprinted itself before his eyes.

They both had slept restlessly for a few hours, then parted ways in different taxis - Law to get home, Kid to the venue to find someone who could give him a lift in his own car since he was still too drunk to drive. Law wished he had got to experience that ride - Kid was fiercely protective of his Volvo, although Law felt as if he had had enough of KISS songs to last a lifetime.

It was now around noon, and he still couldn't get his thoughts under control.

Law could hardly excuse his illogical actions with alcohol - one mojito didn't mess with his mind nearly as much as his emotions did. And the worst part of all, Law knew he would have leaned in for that kiss if the circumstances were different.

Hell, he was leaning in. But then he thought how cruel of him that would be - how foolish, and self-centered, and incredibly selfish to act on his desires without a care in the world when the next day he would have to deliver a crushing blow to their relationship and wreck whatever sympathy sparkled between them.

Law furiously rubbed the plate.

To give him a piece of affection, only to betray his trust and sabotage the future of his career... No, he couldn't have done that to Kid.

Law realized he had already cleaned that plate before. Sitting near the sink and observing his frantic movements with a cocked head was Bepo, his white fur dotted with single droplets of water that splattered from the tap.

Or maybe Law was simply overreacting. Maybe this could be solved in some easy, logical way that he hadn't thought of and all he had to do was gather his courage and make that one phone call.

Law turned the tap and the water cut off. Bepo swiped his paw at him in protest.

"No more water shows for you," Law muttered with a smirk.

And to think it was Kid of all people that Law had the overwhelming desire to kiss, and touch, and keep for himself.... Yesterday was really not a night of self-restraint that Law had been so proud of supposedly mastering.

But he knew how ridiculous the feelings of last night were only while he stood in the beam of sunlight coming in from behind the kitchen window as he devoted his full attention to something as banal and routine as dishwashing.

Leaning against the counter, he slowly removed the latex gloves, each by a single finger. The wet textile clung to his skin so he took extra time to thoroughly dry it on his apron before attempting to remove it once again.

"Meow," said Bepo.

"You sure have a lot to say about this, don't you?" Law threw in the cat's direction. "Don't worry about me. I got this."

Looking at the situation from the third-person perspective, Law found it ridiculous. What was so hard in simply admitting that he couldn't make it to that stupid talk show? It was just an unfortunate coincidence and the malice of inanimate objects - in this case, of the calendar. Law wasn't the one who chose that particular Friday five days from now as the date of his exam.