How You Drive Me... Crazy.

[Warning: explicit content]

🎙️

"I told you, Trafalgar, first release the clutch, then add gas!"

"We could have just taken your car! It's easier with an automatic."

"So you could burn out the clutch? Hell, no," Kid snarled. "Start the car again."

Gritting his teeth, Law complied with the instruction. He had the reflex not to listen to Kid at first, but then decided it may be for the best to follow his lead, at least when managing any kind of a vehicle.

Killer - the masked bass player in Kid's band - had borrowed them his white Fiat 500. Its small size was certainly handy in tight parking spaces, but it didn't come useful when your passenger was a six-foot-nine angry car maniac. Law's right ear was starting to hurt from the constant yells.

"Clutch. First gear. Release it slowly now... And gas. Finally." Kid threw his head back against the headrest. "Stop at the tree line."

Dressed for a casual date/driving lesson, Kid must have been boiling in the black hoodie and jeans, but he was either very good at hiding it or had chosen a particularly sturdy brand of foundation and concealer. His red hair was gathered into a bun on top of his head like a small antenna - the elastic made Law think of Ace and his usual ponytail hairstyle.

The Christmas-tree-shaped pine air freshener bobbed on the rearview mirror as Law brought the car to a halt.

He realized his black shirt clung tightly to his body and his palms left sweat marks on the steering wheel; he had actually broken a sweat by driving a few miles.

At least it was over. They survived.

"Not too bad for a first lesson." Kid huffed. "But during my first time, I was already out racing on the highway."

"I'm sure you were. Lunch?" Law reached for his bag in the backseat and produced two lunch boxes. Kid held out his hand for the one with cabbage rolls.

"You know," Kid said in between munching, "next time we could try and hit the streets."

"You think so?" Law didn't even want to think about the next time. He felt uneasy every time he had to navigate the car - it seemed so out of his control, even though he was the one managing the wheel and gears.

It wasn't only the vehicle that took some time getting used to.

Kid was... a lot. Law still couldn't believe he could just lean in and make out with him whenever he wanted, and have Kid always gladly reciprocate. It had got to the point where Law had to add a makeup remover to his essentials since the red lipstick staining his own lips at all times was getting bothersome.

"When were we supposed to return the car again?" Law checked his watch.

"Four, at max. Killer said he's not paying car insurance to be walking to his yoga classes."

"Then we have an hour to kill."

"I can think of a few ways to pass the time." Kid smirked and reached into his pocket. "Mints?"

"No, thanks."

Now that he was free of his classes and studying, there were suddenly so many more hours in the day. He could work on the episodes without having to stay up late. He had time to get a driving license. Hell, he could even pick up yoga with Killer if he felt like it.

Law leaned back in his seat. He wasn't sure if the serotonin boost coming from entering a new relationship was at fault, but he felt... lighter than he had in years. Would Cora-san approve of him ditching his medical dreams to pursue a career in showbusiness? Law hoped he would.