Relight.

🎙️

The bus reeked of sweat and old cigarette smoke. Holding on to the grab handle, Law hoped he still had that hand sanitizer in his bag.

A hiss and a slam of plastic against the bus - Law made sure he remembered the name of the stop he was supposed to get out at. The lack of air conditioning on the bus caused his black button-up shirt to stick to his body, and he hadn't even made it to the school's grounds yet.

His jaw was still a bit tender from being smashed by Kid's fist, but the purple bruising was brought to minimal from how long Law had kept ice on it during the past days.

The familiar set of red-brick buildings loomed at the end of the street. Several other wannabe students were walking along, although they tended to stick in groups of three or four, fixing each other's ties and revising last-minute.

Law was glad he was alone. What he needed was peace and quiet to try and bring down the churning in his stomach and the sweat on his palms that he kept wiping off against the strap of his bag.

Robin had called him in the morning, of course, wishing him good luck and reminding him that he should only be focusing on the test.

"Don't worry about the rest," she said. Law noticed she was careful not to say Kid's name. "I took care of everything."

Law didn't ask what she meant. Over the past five days, he hadn't contacted Ace nor Kid once. He simply had no presence of mind for it, instead drowning in highlighted text and answer cards from the mock exams.

He presumed they must have been just as busy going over Kid's outfit for the talk show and practicing his fake smile. He knew from Robin that she forced them to make up. How she did it - Law had no idea. But he hoped Kid had got a few more painful bruises from it.

His thoughts sounded selfish when he appraised them from a perspective. Law shrugged mentally. At least he was being honest with himself.

He sped up his pace. His breathing was shallow from tension. One thing he was happy with - no matter what the results will say, it would all be over soon, one way or another.

Suddenly, his eyes landed on someone standing near the school's gates. It made him stop midstride.

"Hello," Ace chimed, rubbing his neck awkwardly.

His black hair was gathered in a small ponytail with an elastic. Not having to wear a suit, he was back to his usual style - a black bomber jacket over an oversized t-shirt. In one hand he held a bouquet of flowers.

"Ace-ya," Law greeted coldly.

"Listen, uh... I know you need to focus and all, I get it. Robin would have killed me if she knew I came to apologize before your exam, but I think it will be easier for you if we cleared the air right now." He shoved the flowers into Law's chest, making a few petals rain down to the ground. "For you. I'm sorry. I took down the episode, of course."

"I saw."

A few students passing them gave them slight whoops of encouragement. Ace only snickered, peeking apologetically at Law. "Sorry, man. I should have bought some chocolates instead."

Law looked at the flowers. "This here reads 'PLEASE MONET FORGIVE ME.'"

Ace quickly snatched the note away and crumpled it in his hand. "Ignore it. I must have switched up the bouquets."

"What did you do?"

"Well... I kinda ditched her after Robin's party. But that's only because I ran to the studio to turn on the recording!" Ace rubbed his neck again. "Yeah... And I didn't have an opportunity to apologize before today, since Ki- since we were focusing on preparing for the talk show. See how much I'm willing to sacrifice for your fame?"