Crossroads

Weston glares at Preston again and throws down some money on the table.

He stands up abruptly and takes my arm, "Let's go home. It was nice meeting you, Veronica."

Weston pulls me out of the restaraunt and storms down the street to our apartment.

I trail behind him and I swear I can see steam radiating off of his head.

I'm scared of how angry he will be at home.

When we get inside, he sits on the couch and turns on the TV immediately.

I take the remote and turn the show off, standing in front of him.

"Wes, tell me what Preston said." I order.

Weston looks at the wall behind me, "It's not important."

"Weston." I almost plead, "Tell me."

He groans and runs his hands down his face, "He said that he still loves you, that's it."

"Why are you so angry then?" I ask.

Weston stares at me, "Another guy just declared his love for my fiancee! I have every right to be mad."

I nod, "I know, but I just thought he had said something else to get you this upset."

He shakes his head but doesn't look at me still.

I take a seat next to him and stare at the floor.

It's silent for a long time and I don't know what to say.

"Do you love him?" Weston finally asks with a strained voice.

I shut my eyes, "I love you, Weston."

"You aren't answering my question." His voice breaks. "Do you love him or not?"

I turn to him and tears fill my eyes, "I don't know." I say with a whisper.

"I think you do know, Auden. I also think you should tell me before we commit to a marriage that may or may not be one sided. And I'm sure as hell aware that I love you, so why don't you tell me how you feel about me?" He fumes with heavy breathing.

I blink to keep my tears from spilling over.

"I don't want to hurt you, Weston." I say quietly still.

He shakes his head, "I'll take that as a yes then."

"I didn't say that!" I shout.

"But how could you hurt me if you didn't still love him?"

I look away.

"Our wedding is in a week, Auden. Now is the best time to tell me if you're ready or not to spend the rest of your life with me." Weston says a little more softly.

"So," he begins, "do you love him or not?"

"I do."

Weston's face goes blank. He nods once, gets up, and leave the apartment, closing the door behind him.

I'm alone.