My Stupid Mouth

I curl up on the couch with my book in my lap. I’m on chapter 12 now, but all I can do is stare blankly at the words. The flashes of Preston’s hurt and angry face from last week keep my mind occupied.

The more I think, the more I realize that this argument was my entire fault. It was my fault that I didn’t answer him like an adult and it was my fault that I let him run away.

I have no clue as to why I let me and my stupid mouth make so many mistakes with this guy who loves me.

The one thing I know for sure is that I do love Preston back; more than I had ever let myself believe.

In one swift motion, I dump my blanket and book on the floor and cross the cramped living room to the front door, grabbing my keys on the way. I swing open the door and sprint down my stairs, too impatient to wait for the elevator.

I have to tell Preston how I feel and wasting time is not an option.

I guess Fate understands because as I fly around the corner of my apartment floor, I crash into Preston, running in the opposite direction.

“Preston.” I breathe, looking up at him.

His hands on my arms, involuntarily out to steady me, drop slightly. “Auden.” He nods.

“What are you doing in my building?” I ask, not able to take my eyes away from his.

Preston shrugs but doesn’t let go of me, “I just forgot my, uh, jacket.”

I frown when I remember that he had taken all of his things when he stormed out last week, “Oh, well you can come get it.” I say anyways.

He shakes his head, “You were going out, I don’t want to interrupt you.”

I roll my eyes, “It’s no big deal. Come on.”

Preston offers a small smile, but it doesn’t quite reach his eyes. He follows me back up the stairs but I can feel his eyes trained on me. I turn around to look at him and see a bit of pain dash through his face.

We enter my apartment and I stand awkwardly at the open front door. Preston looks around and then turns back to me quickly.

“Can’t find it?” I ask.

Preston shakes his head and takes a step closer to me. We’re six feet apart.

“Did you look next to the couch?” I suggest.

Preston nods, even though I know he didn’t. He takes another few steps closer to me. Now we’re within arm’s reach of each other.

I glance around my apartment nervously; I don’t know why he’s moving towards me. “Well, um, did you look in the kitchen?”

Preston silently nods again, not leaving my eye contact. This, I know for a fact, is a lie. He hadn’t even left the room when he was “looking for his jacket”.

When he comes closer again, I can see the freckles sprinkled lightly across his nose.

I look up at him and don’t suggest any other spots to look. We both know it’d be pointless and unnecessary.

“Preston.” I whisper, still staring at him.

He leans a little closer and his cool breath touches my face, “Yes?”

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, “I’m sorry.”

Preston doesn’t say anything, but when I open my eyes, I see that he’s smiling. Genuinely smiling. At me.

He reaches around me and shuts the apartment door close. He rests his hands on either side of my face so that I’m backed up against the wall between his arms.

Preston rests his forehead on mine and still doesn’t say anything.

But I’m alright with that because I know that, in his own, silent way, he’s forgiven me.

Finally, he leans down and presses his lips to my cheek, mumbling quietly, “I’m sorry, too.”

I take his face between my hands and stand on my tip toes so that we’re closer to eye level. With unwavering eyes I whisper, “I love you, Preston.”

He grins triumphantly and wraps his hands on my hips.

“Do you still love me back?” I ask him, keeping eye contact.

Preston chuckles softly and kisses me gently, murmuring against my lips, “Of course.”

I break away from the kiss and wrap my arms around his neck, staring deep into his emerald green eyes.

“Then make love to me, Preston.”

Hey guys! So yes, this is probably one of the shortest chapters EVER, buuuuut....BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! I feel like this story deserves a steamy scene so I decided to cut it short at this point and then add the bedroom part in a different chapter. SO YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED CHILDREN WHO ARE TOO INNOCENT TO UNDERSTAND!

(coffee=energy=insomnia=this^^^)

lahv you all!

AND A HUGE SHOUT OUT TO BANGINBRUNETTE! Thank you so much for being such a great support system, I really really really appreciate it(: