In Your Atmosphere

I uploaded anyways...hehe. But sorry this chapter is shorter than others, I forgot to post this yesterday and I'm in the process of writing another one right now. Enjoy!

“A date?” I asked hesitantly.

He nodded and shrugged, “Why not?”

I wanted to yell. This was exactly what I had been trying to avoid with him. “I don’t think I can.”

“Fine.” Preston said, “Don’t call it a date. Call it a dinner between friends.”

“We’re not friends.” I snorted.

I half expected him to frown or fake sadness but instead, he grinned even broader. “You’re right.”

“I am?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“We’re lovers.”

I made a face at him and went back to my book, “No, we’re not. We’ve never had sex together.”

He moved closer to me and whispered in my ear, “That could change. Right here, right now.”

I groaned and pushed him away, “Preston, what is it that you really want?”

He shrugged, “A date.”

I glared at him, looking for any signs of lying or humor.  Unfortunately for me, he was telling the truth.

Preston pouted his lips and attempted to look sad, “Pwease, Auden?”

“What are we going to do?” I asked him carefully, wondering what he had planned for us.

He jumped and pulled me into a hug, “Thank you!”

I gasped for air, “That wasn’t a yes, Preston.”

He kissed me swiftly on the lips and ran out my apartment screaming, “I’ll pick you up tonight at seven!”

I stared at my apartment door long after he had left. My hand instinctively ran up to my mouth, still feeling the tingles his kiss gave me.

I shook my head and closed my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose. I refused to let myself have emotions for Preston. He was just a client of interest that I intended to keep coming back for more.

I reluctantly put down my neglected book and got up to go to the bedroom. I shuffled through my clothing and was a little disappointed to find that I barely had any clothing other than sweats and lingerie. I walked off to take another shower with a sigh. Preston hadn’t told me where we were going, so I had no idea what I was supposed to dress for.

After a quick bathe, I wrapped myself in a slightly damp towel, cringing at the coldness of it on my skin. I padded across the hallway and back into my room, facing my pathetic wardrobe once again.

I lifted out a few items that had been pushed to the back from lack of use. After a long string of mental debates, I decided upon wearing a pair of high-waisted denim shorts, a black and white striped shirt, and a black blazer. I slipped on a pair of black and white converse, feeling like a teenager all over again.

As I dried my hair I realized that I still had about two hours until Preston would be here. I took my time drying my wavy hair since I was too lazy to straighten it. I put on a bit of eyeliner and mascara, not bothering to do anything more. All the makeup I wore to work was starting to take a toll on my skin.

I looked in the mirror and surprised myself by seeing a slightly different girl than I expected. She looked a little happier, a little cleaner, and a little less tense. I figured that this is what the non-working Auden looked like on her days off.