Quiet

There's a knock at the door and I don't go to answer it. I haven't called for any deliveries so there's no reason for me to see who it is.

Besides, I have a fairly good idea of who's behind the door anyways.

"Auden, open up. I know you're in there." Veronica's voice travels through. "You've been in there for four months, that's not healthy. You need to get out."

I sigh. I can't ignore Veronica.

"I don't want to talk, V." I yell from the couch.

"Ah-hah!" She exlaims, "She talks!"

I smile but it feels strange.

"Will you let me in, Auden?" Veronica asks, "I'm alone."

I hesitate for a second, but I finally get up and open the front door a little.

"You look like hell, girl." The pretty blonde grins.

I open the door wider and let her in.

"How can you stay here and not go out for four months?" Veroinca asks me, "No one has heard from you or seen you since we all went out to dinner. We're worried sick."

I scoff, "By we I assume you mean you."

She shakes her head, "Well, obviously I haven't talked to Weston at all, but Preston has been a nervous wreck."

The two names sting.

"Well no one else has come by the apartment so I hardly believe that." I say, climbing back onto the couch.

"He wanted to, but I told him you wouldn't answer. I might not know you as well as he does, but I know that you're too stubborn to let him in." Veronica tells me.

"You're right." I say, "I don't want to see him. He single handedly ruined my relationship with my fiance and caused us to call off our wedding."

Veronica sighs, "Speaking of the wedding, how did that all work out?"

I shrug, "I assume it was all canceled without a hitch because I got some e-mails saying 'Sorry to hear about the change of plans' from all the people we had hired. I guess Weston or his family handled the situation."

She frowns, "I can't believe he would call it off like that and not even give you a chance."

"Well I did admit to still being in love with another man." I say.

Veronica takes a deep breath, "But if he really loved you, why did he just pack up and leave just like that?"

I laugh without humor, "Technically he never packed up. He just left."

"His stuff is still here?" Veronica asks, looking around.

I shake my head, "He never really had much here expcept for a few clothes. He didn't officially move in because he had his own place across town."

"Do you still have his clothes?"

I shake my head again, "Those were thrown in the garbage a long time ago."

She sits down next to me and pats my leg, "I'm sorry about all of this, Auden. My brother never should have said what he said."

I look away, "I still can't believe he told my fiance that he still loved me."

"I think he had the idea that it would save you from a marriage that you never really wanted to be in." Veronica suggests, "As much as you probably don't want to hear this, we could all tell that you weren't fully invested in your engagement."

Tears start streaming down my face. Veronica rubs my back soothingly and the tears keep coming.

After what seems like hours, my eyes dry and they begin to close slowly.

I lean against Veronica's shoulder and let myself drift into sleep.

"Rest, Auden." I hear Veronica's voice as I begin to fall into unconsciousness, "Tomorrow will be a new day."

A/N

Hey so I finally updated! Instead of making a huge upload, I decided to make a few mini chaps so it'd be a little more interesting for me to write. Enjoy!