3

Tine watched the people filter in to the main hall of the assembly house. It was the largest building in the village and was used for parties, weddings and other types of gatherings. Tonight was a ball to kick off the festival of The Chosen. Even though his kind had not been in this area in 700 years, the villagers still honored their traditions. It appeared that even the mate pairings were sometimes chosen on this night every year. Although the Clutch have not been present the villagers saw fit to continue the mate pairings, after a fashion. The village elders had paid attention to the young people all year long and had made notes of how certain females acted towards certain males and vise versa. 

Tomias sought him out where he stood in the shadows and bowed as he came to stand in front of him. "My Lord, she will be here tonight. Her family lives on the large estate on the edge of the forest and are usually some of the last to arrive. However, there is some competition for her hand. Your host's son fancies himself in love with her."

Tine arched an eyebrow at the elders words. "Do you think that he will cause trouble?"

Tomias swallowed past the sudden lump of fear in his throat, "Difficult to say, Sir. He has been indulged since childhood and given every thing that he desires from horseflesh to girls. I dare say that he might indeed, be trouble. It is most unfortunate because the Sir Anton has been warned by the lore keepers of the consequences of spoiling a child to that extent. However, he would never listen. It is difficult, even now for the Elders to hold him in check. There have even been rumors of cruelty and rape of female servants whispered. Usually, as soon as an allegation is made, the family moves away after coming into a sudden source of wealth of some form."

"This boy is my hosts son, you say? But yet I do not see him present. I only see the younger son, whom I find to have a fair heart and a trustworthy character. His sister of course has made somewhat of a nuisance of herself, until her mother took her in hand." Tine perused the room once more, looking for his "competition" for his mate's hand.

"He is said to be escorting the Lady Mira's carriage." Tomias waited to see the beast lord digest this information and while he kept a straight face, Tomias could feel the undercurrent of rage simmering just below the surface. Lord Tine had already staked his claim on Lady Mira and the young lord of the house may well experience the beast's wrath if he pushed to much. Tomias bowed to Tine and left the proceedings going back to the temple to get ready for the ceremonies guaranteed to stem from tonight's ball and tomorrows festival. 

Just as Tine was trying to tamp down his rage, his host, Lord Anton joined him with a glass of amber colored liquid that could only be the local whisky.

"I understand that you have an interest in my son's soon to be bride." Tine knew what the old lord was attempting to do and it angered him even more. Turning to Lord Anton, he allowed his full rage to show in his eyes, turning them a brilliant emerald green with a fiery red ring surrounding the irises. This caused the Lord to take a step back, realizing that he wasn't dealing with a full human being.

"Your son does not have the right to chose his bride. Only the village elders can do that. I don't care how entitled he thinks he is. The lady will be allowed, by village law, to refuse him without rebuttal. That, my dear Lord Anton, is that! " Tine went to walk away from his host when he smelled her. Her scent tickled his nostrils and caused his beast to rise up and call to it's mate. Tine could feel his and his beast's desire for her almost overwhelm them both. Try as he might, it was difficult to tamp down. 

"Lord Issac and Lady Amethyst Dewar and Lady Mira and Lord Ashton." Tine watched as Mira was followed closely by Ashton, almost like a puppy trying to get the attention of it's owner. Lord Issac often looked over at the young lord, frowning at his fawning then demanding of attention from his daughter. 

Mira really had enough. Ashton was definitely trying to monopolize her attention and it was grating on her nerves. Finally in frustration, she turned to him and said in a clear and loud voice, "Ashton, please do go find someone else to bother. I am really not interested. I find your attention to be cloying and demanding, and is not winning me over at all." 

Everyone gathered watched the anger and rage at MIra's rejection wash over Ashton. "NO! You are mine! You belong to me. My father promised me that I could have you when I was younger." 

All turned to Lord Anton as his face flushed with anger and shame. If the boy's word's proved to be true, he had just disgraced his family name. His father had gone against village law and tradition and had gone above the village elders and chosen for his son based on what his son wanted.

Lord Issac approached his long time friend and asked, "Is this true Ashton. Did you make the boy such a promise? Did you tell him he would "have" my daughter, without the consent of her family or the village elders?"

"He was just a child....He should have forgotten that. He has been given so many things, I thought perhaps......" Lord Anton stuttered.

His wife strode up to him and slapped him, hard. "You Fool! What have you done! You have shamed us and now we could be sentenced because you have always refused to do the right thing where that boy is concerned! I warned you! I warned you that something like this would happen. I believe the lore keepers have warned you too, as well as the village elders. Know this, I will not be party to this. Mira is a woman in her own right and is entitled to be blindfolded and allowed, with the help of the elders to make her own choice. Now, you have not only tried to take away her choice, but to elevate yourself above the law and the village elders. You and the boy will leave this house now! Tonight! And you will go out a single cent from my family's bank account."

Lady Atheen called over the footman and gave instructions for her husband's and oldest son's belongings to be packed and placed in a carriage and if need be escorted out of the assembly hall and out of the village. 

Ever the gracious host, Lady Atheen approached Tine and bowed. "Please my lord, forgive the trespass that has been committed here and allow the festivities to continue." At his nod, she turned to the gathered crowd and said, "Please, allow the night to continue. Do not forget that tonight is the beginning of the choosing. After all, we do have and very special guest and it is my please to introduce to you, Lord Tine Ri. His family once ruled these lands and were thought to have been slaughtered. However, his lineage was saved by the heir being spirited away by the captain of the guard and the child's nanny."

The entire assemblage clapped, including his mate. Unbeknownst to her, she will choose him tomorrow night at the festival. He had already seen her try to chase him down in the forest. He was glad that she had not. When he had lead her to the castle ruins, and watched her reaction when she touched it, he was left to no other choice but to realize that his beast recognized her as his mate. His excitement was building. However, thinking back to the night's events, he wondered if history would try to repeat itself.........