19

Far away, in the East.

Fragrant incense burned and created a mist that seem to wrap around the tall, powerful man as he entered the room. When he reached the center, he knelt down and bowed with his forehead touching the floor.

"Rise, my son. I have summoned you for a reason. Join me and we will speak on many things." The old man, with a shock of long white hair, stood and began to walk towards the private garden outside the throne room. Despite his apparent age, the old ruler moved with elegance and grace. His body fluid. His movements, like that of the younger man, spoke of power and authority. 

As they entered the garden, a young woman, in her early twenties, ran to join them. The old man caught her up in his arms and hugged her. "I missed you, my orchid. How was your trip to the south?"

The young girl, an identical replica of the young man, in feminine version, spoke, "Hot, humid, sticky and the people were so rude. They never did acknowledge me as the princess. They bowed, but it was like they were afraid to speak." The girl frowned as she spoke.

"Butterfly, the people of the South are a beaten people. They have been so mistreated by your uncle that they are afraid to speak. That's why they only bowed. This will pass when they realize that you are a fair and kind ruler. I expect you to have a report to me by no later than tomorrow morning." The girl nodded and turned to leave when her father stopped her. "The Western Clutch has awakened and the prince has found his mate. There will be a marriage and many alliances will come from this joining. We must go and attend. His father, the king, was a good friend. His mother, the queen, was an honorable woman. I am looking forward to meeting the young woman that the prince is to be mated to."

The young prince and princess looked at their father in surprise. He had not left the palace in over a hundred year. Now he was saying that he, all of them, would travel to the West for a wedding. 

"Be ready to leave in one week. That should give you time to get a trustworthy subject to rule in your absence." Nodding to his children, the emperor walked away with a spring in his steps that had not been present in decades.