11

Tine was so busy pacing that almost missed the moment that Mira came down the stairs. Rushing to her side, he watched as her eyes dilated as their hands touched. He knew in that instance that she knew he was something other than human. He waited with no small amount of trepidation. Mira looked over at the man that she had quickly fallen in love with and smiled her best smile. In that smile Tine saw her love for him as well as her acceptance of whatever he was. Releasing the breath that he had unintentionally been holding, Tine returned her smile and leaned in to kiss her cheek.

"Here now! None of that!"  Mira heard her mother say.

"Leave them be, dear. I remember when you chose me. We couldn't seem to keep our hands off of each others." Hearing his wife clear her throat loudly, he then tried to recant by saying, "Of course, we had to be kept separated from each other most times." 

"That's right dear, my mother and father wouldn't let us even sit next to each other. We were forced to sit across the room from each other. It was terrible and I hated. So you two mind yourselves so we don't have to do that with you." Lady Amethyst smiled as the housekeeper came to announce that dinner was served.

As they walked into the dining room, A knock sounded at their front door. 

"I say! Terrible timing. Some folks don't know what a proper dinner time is anymore." Lord Issac stated as he rose from the table, motioning the housekeeper to continue to serve dinner to his family and their future son-in-law. Going to the door, he yanked it open in his irritation and almost yelled, "What!" in a loud voice.

Standing at the door was Tine's "uncle" and the elder along with a man that appeared to have a sketchpad and several pencils. "I say, it's dinnertime in this household. What do you want?" he tried to allow his irritation to show.

The elder and Raptor bowed. Before either one of them could speak, the rather studious looking man stepped forward and offered his hand. "My apologies sir. I was excited to meet the new Lady of the Clutch, my future queen."

Raptor growled loudly and smacked the boy in the back of his head. "Young fool! She doesn't know yet! Keep you mouth shut unless you are asking her about designs and colors. If you open your mouth about her being queen again, I will personally roast you myself. Do you understand me whelp?" 

Lord Issac watched as the young man's mouth opened and closed as Raptor waited for something like a sound to come out. He was trying his best not to laugh at the whelp's expense, but it was difficult. The lad's expression was at once horrified and admonished. His mouth was still working to form words, so he settled for just nodding his head. 

Raptor stepped forward and bowed, "Lord Issac, I do apologize. I was unaware of the hour. We will return tomorrow at a more appropriate time, if you and your Lady are agreeable."

"It is, sir. You are most welcome in my home, and if I had know you were coming, we would have planned for a larger meal. And you are correct in assuming that it is an hour other than our usually. Mira has not been well and she slept quite a bit longer than we had anticipated. So we waited dinner for her. You may join us for breakfast tomorrow morning." 

Raptor again bowed to the Lord and grabbed the young whelp by the scruff of his collar and said, "Come along, Whelp. You will get to meet the future queen tomorrow morning. You best remember what I said. I'm not above following through with the threat."

Lord Issac mirthfully watched the young man swallow deeply and loudly, then nod his head.

Coming back to the dining room and taking his seat. Issac began to eat his dinner. 

"Father, who was that at the door." Mira asked.

"Your designer for your home. I dismissed him and told him to be here for breakfast. A studious, if somewhat exuberant young man. He is very eager to meet you and to discuss your likes, dislikes, wants and don't wants with you. Poor fellow had to be called to heel by Raptor. Drug him off by the scruff of his collar." Issac watched the somewhat owlish look on his daughter's face, while Tine looked somewhat embarrassed, while his lovely wife looked incredibly amused and was trying without much luck to hold her laughter.

"Mother! That's horrible. To be dragged off by the scruff of your collar. How embarrassing. Poor fellow. He must have been horrified." Tine reached over and patted Mira's shoulder. 

"I shouldn't worry too much about it. If it's who I think it is, it would have taken that to get him to leave. That young whelp is dangerous when left unattended. He's worse than any child. Believe me, Mira, your sympathy is definitely misplaced. Now, love, eat your dinner. I can hear your stomach starting to growl over here." Tine smiled at his lovely mate as her mouth formed the perfect "o" and a pretty blush swept over her face and neck.

Quickly looking down at her food, Mira picked up her tableware and began to eat without further prompting.

Tine looked over at Lord Issac and they made eye contact with each other. Tine understood that Mira's father wanted to speak to him alone later. He gave a barely perceptible nod and Lord Issac resumed eating his dinner. 

From there dinner progressed and by the time dessert was cleared away, Mira was struggling to keep her eyes open. Tine noticed and suggested that she retire for the night. When she started to put up an argument, Tine raised his hand in a gesture for quiet. Mira instantly quietened, causing her mother to raise one eyebrow in disbelief.

"My love, I know you are still tired, I am as well. And my body can go days without sleep. Yours cannot. Please, go to bed and rest. I will join you at breakfast. After all, our designer will be here and want to discuss many things with us about our home." Mira gave in with great reluctance and was accompanied to her room by her mother.

"Mom, do you understand all the under currents of tension between Tine, father, Raptor and Tine's uncle? Because I'm not sure that I want to wait. Not only that, but I think I know what my future husband is. But, as he and you have requested, I will wait until he reveals his secrets to me." Mira stood with her hair lifted off of her neck as her mother gently unlaced her dress and helped her step out of it. 

"Yes, my darling, I not only understand them, I have some of my own secrets as well. I will reveal them to you the morning after your wedding. Your husband's need to be told first so that mine will make more sense."

"Okay, Momma. I have never not trusted you. I will wait quietly in my suspicions until my husband and you reveal the secrets that you hold so closely. I just pray that those secrets do not tear this town apart." Mira changed into her gown and kissed her mother on the cheek and climbed into bed. 

Amethyst watched as Mira was asleep almost before her head lay on the pillow. Standing there watching her for a minute, she realized that the lives of her family and this village were about to irrevocably change. Some ways for the best, some, well that remains to be seen. Turning to leave the room, Amethyst gently closed the door and went to join her husband with her daughter's mate and soon-to-be-husband.

"Son, I really don't know how to take in the fact that my daughter will be a queen. The threats to her and your children alone could cripple this village. I hope that you have a large army to keep our baby safe, Tine. I do not wish to lose her or any children that you two will have." Issac held out his hand,  waiting for his wife to sit next to him.

"The Clutch has already trained soldiers for to guard our home. Especially if history decides to repeat itself."