18

"Oww!!! Mira yelled as another pin pricked her skin.

"If you would stand still, my darling, you wouldn't get stuck quite so much." Lady Amethyst said.

"Mother, I have no wish to play the spoiled princess, but I absolutely cannot stand this fabric next to my skin any longer!"

"The young lady is right, Amethyst. The fabric has yet to be treated and softened and is rather itchy." Stepping back, the seamstress crossed her arms and appeared to be in deep concentration, when she suddenly snapped her fingers. "I know. I have a bolt of the same material that has been cleaned and treated for softness and is a lovely shade of pale blue." Turning, she left the room and came back with a bolt of beautiful material. The pale blue was almost sparkling. When Violet, the seamstress got closer, she realized why. It was shot through with very fine threads of gold. 

Laying it across her work table, she turned back to Mira and began to remove the pins. After they were removed, Violet and her mother helped her to carefully step out of the material. Mira wanted to fling it as far from her as she could. Her skin was red and irritated from the ghastly stuff and she never wanted to see it again.

Violet turned back to her work table and began to unroll the cloth. Once she had what she deemed enough, she picked up her scissors and began to cut out the basic outline of her shift that she would wear under her dress. While Mira watched Violet deftly cut the fabric and drape it over her arm, her mother was caressing it.

"Why, it's absolutely lovely! I've never seen anything like it Violet. Where on earth did you get it." Lady Amethyst exclaimed.

"A trader from the East. He comes through about once a year and he always gives me first choice of the fabric. Makes old Joshua, the tailor, livid. I send him what is left after I trade or buy what ever material I want. But, truthfully, what would that old fool do with silks and satins. These are feminine fabrics." Without waiting for an answer, Violet went to work. Soon, Mira was taking off the roughly stitched shift and was being measured for other items. Her day gown, her nightwear and the rest of her wedding attire. Then it was her mother's turn. 

"Really Violet. I can wear one of my newer dresses." Her mother's concerns were waved off and the seamstress went to work measuring her and deciding what shade of blue she would wear as the mother of the bride.

"Perfect, you ladies are done. I will need you back at the end of the week for fittings to make sure everything will look just perfect." Violet hugged Lady Amethyst and kissed her cheek. "I am so happy for you. She has made a wonderful match. The rest of the Lorekeepers are excited. When can we meet the groom?"

We are have a luncheon in the garden the day before the wedding for rehearsals. Bring the rest of the Lorekeepers then. The Elder is already invited as well as the Temple priest. After all, the priest will marry them." She said, smiling.

Across town, at the inn in the dining hall, Raptor and Tine sat drinking ale and eating some meat pies and root vegetables with bread.

"Your mate doesn't know that you are a dragon yet, does she? Let alone that she is a dragon daughter, herself?" Raptor leaned in and whispered.

Tine answered him with some trepidation. "No, she has no clue. At least, I don't think so. I know she has a special gift. She has hinted around about it, but she has never told me what it was. Amethyst and Isaac, however, they know. They are willing to let me inform Mira of her and my lineage. I have a feeling that she will not be too surprised. Moreover, I think the village itself is aware of who and what we are. I think that is the reason why we have been welcomed so openly and without reserve. They remember the stories of the time when my father was king and this was a prosperous village. It's prosperous now, but when we cared for this village, the trade came from all over the world. Now, they are lucky to see a few traders from the East with silks and spices."

"True, the time will come when trade in this valley will boom once again. And then the young lord in the province next to this one, will prosper even more, and alliances can be forged even deeper." Just as he finished speaking a dwarf dragon flew in and landed on Raptor's shoulder and began to chirp, quickly but quietly. As the creature spoke to it's master, Raptor's face became a mask of rage. It was so intense that the serving girl who had been headed his way, gasped and turned around.

Only five words came out of his mouth. "History will not repeat itself." Then he got out and went outside into the direction of town.