16

Looking at the site stretching out before them, Mira and her family were aghast at the progress that three days had made. There had to be at least two hundred men and women, craftspeople, working on the stone building. Mira, sitting up straight, suddenly realized something.

"This has been going on for longer than three days. This would take two weeks. Even with this many people. You've been very busy, haven't you?" She asked Tine with narrowed eyes.

Tine had the grace to look slightly sheepish. Raptor looked from his great-granddaughter to her suitor and his friend, smirking. "Can't wait to see you explain this one. Especially since I wasn't here for your introduction."

"Yes, well, I ....I started the day after the ball. I had already planned on moving back, but when I saw you, Mira, I knew that I had to stay in this area. I couldn't leave what has turned out to be the best thing that has ever happened to me, now could I?" Tine sat back and watched the effect his words had on his mate. 

Just as he suspected, the words had a profound effect on Mira. Her skin flushed, her eyes dilated, her hands tightened on the reins of her horse as she drew in a sharp breath. Which she let out slowly, as if to calm herself. Tine could smell her arousal, as could Raptor. So could most of the workers present,  since most of them were dragons, as well. Tine felt his chest swell with pride at the effects that he had on her. He knew that she had the exact same effect on him. She just didn't know it yet.

The foreman realizing that Tine was here, approached the group. Realizing that the stories he had heard were true, he let his eyes wonder over the two females with his prince. Both were equally beautiful. The oldest not appearing to have aged much past her maturity. Her up-tilted eyes and fire-red hair were a dead giveaway to her dragon heritage. Suddenly realizing the resemblance, he looked from Raptor to the two women and then back and forth again. seeing a subtle nod from the old dragon, Taelon (pronounced Talon) knew that not only was this young woman going to be his new queen, her mother was a dragon daughter. Clearing his throat to get everyone's attention he said, "Sirs and ladies, it is good to see that you have come to visit the work site. We welcome you. Sir, would you and your promised like to have a brief tour of the site? The workers are about to break for lunch and certainly would not mind the company of two such beautiful ladies in our midst." 

Mira nodded enthusiastically then motioned for Tine to help her dismount, even as her father helped her mother dismount. Eyes sparkling, Mira took in everything. She didn't miss how the people bowed to her as she would walk past them. She almost questioned Tine why, then remembered her dream. If Tine was the future dragon king, that made her the future queen. Mira stumbled a bit and would have fallen if Tine had not caught her. This was the secret that he would reveal on their wedding night. That, and maybe his beast. Mira felt herself quiver with excitement. Turning, she looked up at her soon to be husband and dragon mate, and smiled. 

Tine never knew that this type of pleasure existed. The pleasure of simply being in the presence of his love. Seeing her smile in genuine delight caused a special kind of feeling deep down in his heart. It pleased him tremendously to see his people accept her. They knew who she was without being introduced. Her mother walking between her husband and Raptor left little to the imagination as to who the two women were. The dragons all knew that Lady Amethyst was one of Raptor's offspring in some way. Many had not gotten into town yet, so they did not realize how full of dragon lineage the village was full of. The workers had plenty of supplies at present. But when they did need to go to town, Tine had the idea that a lot of couples would be formed. The village would grow beyond what anyone could imagine.

Stopping at the entrance door, Mira laid her hand on it hesitantly. Just as soon as her hand made contact, she snatched it back. Turning to look at Tine, eyes wide she said, "You used the original wood. Where did you find it?" 

"Tealon used the beams he found buried in the rubble as they were clearing the site for the new construction. Once he established the fact that they were still usable and quite strong, the thought to use them as a door was put forth. I actually agreed, thinking it would pay homage to the previous inhabitants. Do you like it?" He asked with a slight frown.

"I think it's a wonderful idea." Mira replied with a smile.

"Time for lunch!" Mira and Tine turned to see her mom and the two men holding the saddlebags holding their lunch and the bottles of wine and meade. A table was quickly set up and short pieces of logs were turned into chairs for the guests. The workers gathered around to join them at the table after an invitation from Mira.

Food was enjoyed and conversation sparked around the table. Laughter was shared as were ideas for the fortress. 

"Really Mira! A fortress!" Tine said in astonishment.

"What else would you call it. It is built of stones quarried and cut by masons. It is being held together with large cut beams and if I'm not mistaken, that is the layout for a wall. Making this a fortification." Mira waved her arm over the build site to show emphasis.

"Mira, I am a man not without significant power. With that comes enemies. I can and will guard you with everything that I have at my disposal. If that means building us a fortress  to live in, then so be it. I will not apologize for caring that much about you and doing what I consider necessary to protect you and any family that we may be fortunate enough to have." Having answered Mira in the most unequivocal manner, he leaned forward and kissed her on the tip of her nose.

 Hearing chuckles, Mira looked around and realized it was Taelon. "That boy was always a bit bossy. I kind of figured it would spill over to his adult life. Don't you let him always have his way, milady. It takes a strong woman to deal with a man like him. As you sure you sure you can handle him?" Taelon had a wicked glint in his eye as he finished speaking.

Raptor watched all of the byplay with a lot of amusement. As did his granddaughter and her husband. "It's going to be very interesting watching those two bump heads over the years." He said with a chuckle.

Realizing that the day was beginning to get late, the family gathered up their things and the left over food, wine and meade and saddled the horse. Mira watched from the place where the horses were tied up waiting for them as Tine went to speak to Taelon about the upstairs. Something that they had discussed over lunch. She has wanted an apartment near their suite for her parents should they choose to live with them. Instead, they had settled on a small house behind the fortress. It would still be inside the fortification, but private and somewhat hidden.

Walking back to her, Tine helped Mira mount her horse while her father did the same with her mother. On the ride back to the village, Mira's mother and father were mostly silent. It wasn't a heavy silence, just a comfortable, easy peace that seemed to pass among the group. It was just getting dark when they pulled up to the inn at the edge of town for dinner.