10//ancient fear and catching eyes

Standing in front of a mirror, Katarina looked at herself. Katie placed her hands on her shoulder as she smiled at her through the mirror.

"So? How is this one?" She asked. While the three youngest went to fetch a surfboard for Katarina, Adriano and Camillo went for a water suit as they knew her size from the previous time they went shopping. 

Alrigo, Noah and Katie helped Katarina shop for some more clothes as what she had wasn't by far enough. There were many things she still needed, their first priorities being a bathing suit and a new phone.

While Alrigo and Noah were waiting outside the changing area, Katie went in every time her daughter said she was done changing. Katie knew that Katarina wouldn't feel comfortable showing off bikini's in front of her father and eldest brother and Katarina was grateful for that.

"I don't know." Katarina sighed, the bikini was not sitting right, making her feel not only insecure but also uncomfortable.

"If you don't know it means it's not the one." Katie smiled. "Don't worry, we'll keep looking." She kissed her cheek and left the changing room. 

Before she left the small space, Katie turned around. "Any specific things you need me to look for, colors? Type?" She asked and Katarina thought a little.

"Color doesn't matter as long as it's not that bright and flashy. But I'd like something that covers as much as a bikini could cover up. " She smiled awkwardly at her mother. 

"Don't be ashamed my darling, I understand you perfectly. I was in your position once too, and a friend of mine, that you'll meet soon, gave me advice I still carry with me until this day." Katie smiled as she walked back to her daughter.

"Really?" Katarina asked surprised

"You're born real, not perfect, those were her words." She smiled. "Once you accept your flaws, no one can use them against you." Katie said thinking back to her best friend Isabella

"It's hard accepting yourself and the flaws with it, but once you do,  you'll be stronger than all those fake people all over the world. Don't let your mind weaken the image of your body my darling, because you're imperfect like every other living creature, and embracing yourself is what makes you really beautiful." She smiled as she caressed Katarina's cheek. 

"Be proud on your body my darling, it's like someone gave you an art piece of themselves and you criticize it until the artist is filled with insecurities and doubts about their abilities. Stop focusing on the 'bad' parts, but try to focus on how the 'bad' parts are in a way 'good' parts. Parts that make you human, that make you special."

Katarina looked into her mother's eyes before nodding and give her a small smile. Katie returned the smiled as she walked back out of the changing room, only to be stopped by Alrigo.

"Thank you, mother." He said and Katie smiled.

"Haven't I taught you not to eavesdrop on my conversations?" She said playfully. 

"When it's about my daughter's sake, it's allowed." Noah said with an raised eyebrow. He gave Katie a quick peck before whispering, "Those were beautiful words my love". He kissed her cheek and let her walk by, with blush covering her cheeks.

Katie let her eyes wander around the too much revealing bikini's. Then her eyes fell on a not much revealing one compared to the others, and that in a beautiful green color. She smiled as she grabbed the piece of clothing and walked over to where her daughter was waiting.

The second Katarina saw the bikini, her lips tug up. She didn't mind trying it on while her mother waited patiently on the other side of the door. Katarina looked at herself in the mirror and smiled. This was the one.