18//well deserved power nap

As the sun shone through the curtains, Katarina slowly woke up from her sleep and tried to open her eyes. She sighed as she felt her legs being so sore from surfing all afternoon the past day. She decided to let her body rest for a few more moments and  let her eyes adjust to the blinding light entering her room.

She instantly thought about how Alrigo told her she actually did make the team. She couldn't help but think it was a dream. It felt unreal and she didn't want to give herself false hope. What if it was a dream?

A soft knock on her door made her move her head sideways. She answered with her soft voice, hoping that the person on the other side of the door could hear her. It would be embarrassing to repeat herself. 

The door slowly entered and Katarina's eyes lighted up when she saw the person's face.

"Goodmorning." he smiled.

"Phoenix!" She smiled as she was fully awake now, sitting upright in bed. Phoenix laughed and revealed a plate of food from behind his back. He walked over to her and placed the tray on her bedside table. He sat at the left edge of her bed, Katarina scooting over so he had more space.

"Sorry I had to leave for a few days. I had a mission from your parents." He explained, Katarina tensed.

"Was it dangerous?" She asked, concern laced through her voice.

Phoenix sighed, he didn't want to lie to his little cousin." It always is but we know what we're doing. And your parents would never send me on a mission alone if they didn't knew for sure I could handle it." He reassured her.

Katarina let out a small sigh. 

"We?" She asked with her eyebrows furrowed. 

"Well, I never work alone. I have two best friends, River and Sparrow. We're called the deadly sins, we always work as a team." He explained. Katarina could see the admiration in his eyes. She could feel her heart beating, touched by the emotion running through her cousin's eyes.

"Can I ask you something else?" She whispered softly as she looked at her hands.

"Sure thing, cutie."

"When I first met you, in Alrigo's office, Alrigo had talked about work when I'm older." She whispered and Phoenix nodded. His eyes narrowed, curious where this question was going.

"What if I decided not to involve myself in the family business, but after a few years or maybe just one or after some months or a few weeks or-"

"Katarina, love, take a deep breath and tell me what you want to ask me." He smiled reassuring and caressed her palm softly. She did as he told her and took a deep breath. And another one. She closed her eyes while doing so, making sure she was calm again.

"What if I change my mind and wanted to help out, in a non-violent way of course." She whispered as she started to fidget with her own fingers.

"Then everyone would support you. They will always support you with every decision they make. They could never not support you, Katarina. Remember that." He said as he kissed her head.

"Besides, you would not be the first one the change their mind. Some had started in our business and quit after a few months or vice versa. And even if you didn't change your mind and stay out of the business for the rest of your life, everyone would understand cutie."

"Thank you." Katarina whispered back. 

Phoenix stood up as he checked the time on his phone. 

"Alright cutie, eat your breakfast, get dressed in comfortable clothes and meet me downstairs." He said as he ruffled her hair and placed the tray of food on her lap.