Chapter 10

Mika's POV.

"OW!"

Miles screamed after I slapped his hand away from the cookie batter for the eighteenth time. "Paws off!" I scolded, watching him rub the back of his hand like a wounded cub. "Oh, come on! Just one lick!" He tried to reach for the batter again and I swatted off his hand.

Then we heard the doorbell. "Ooh!" I perked up and ran towards the door, I'm covered from head to toe with flour right now, but that doesn't matter. Besides, mom always used to say, you haven't been baking if you're not covered in flour.

Just as I reached the door I swiftly looked over my shoulder and spotted Miles making a go for the batter again. I took my left slipper off and threw it hard, and how it managed to reach him all the way in the kitchen, I do not know.

It like, defies all laws of physics.

Miles ducked just in time to avoid it hitting his head. "Hey! That was assault!" He yelled pointing an accusing finger at me.

I gave him a stern eye. "Don't assault my cookie batter and I won't assault you!" He rolled his eyes and - thankfully - gave up, walking out of the kitchen and flopping down on the couch.

The doorbell rang again. Oh, right, I need to open the door.

"Hey, Bose!" I waved when I saw him on the other side. "How'd you know I wanted you to come over?"

"You mean, other than the thousands of texts saying, 'Bose, come over right now'?" He said, holding up his phone. "A hunch, I geuss?" He laughed.

"Hehe...yeah, sorry for spamming you." I said. "It's okay." He put his phone in his pocket. "So what's up?" He asked. "Come on in." I said, stepping aside to let him step into the house.

"Sup, Bose." Miles said, waving from the couch. "Hey Miles." Bose waved. I grabbed his arm. "C'mon, I gotta show you something in the kitchen."

"Okay. Miles, you coming?" Bose asked. Miles scoffed an got up. "I don't think so. I am definitely not a baking guy. I'm more of an eating guy, which is why I will happily appreciate your guys' work once it's finished, but I will not be helping to produce it." He headed up the stairs. "You two have fun though." He said, before disappearing. Bose turned to me. "What's he talking about?" He asked and I led him into the kitchen.

"Ooh, are you baking cookies?" He asked excitedly. "We are." I replied just as excited. "Chocolate chip." I clapped my hands together. "I love chocolate chip! They're like my all time favourite." Bose said.

"I know that, silly that's why I picked it." I said. "Think of this as my goodbye gift to you."

"Thanks Mika." Bose said, his voice now sad after remembering that he's leaving. "Thank me, while you're enjoying some delicious chocolate chip cookies!" I said, setting everything up. "Which we still have to make." I paused and turned to him, handing him an apron. "You can bake, right?" I asked. "Pfft. Of course. I'm a pro." He said, taking the apron and putting it on.

Somehow, I don't believe him. But that doesn't matter, this might be the last time I ever hang out with him and I need to make the best of it.

Let's make some chocolate chip cookies!

***

Okay, so Bose like, totally lied about being a pro.

In fact, he's the exact opposite of a pro. How is that even possible?

Anyway, we made the chocolate chip cookies - well, I did and Bose mostly made a mess, the boy really does not know how to bake - and after Miles, sneakily stole a whole batch and ran upstairs laughing like some mentally deranged maniac, Bose and I took the second batch and sat on the couch, in front of the TV, displaying the little blue smurf thingies running for their lives from that wired sourcerer dude who's name I could never learn.