2. WAR HERO

WAR HERO

Marshall

Marshall

Landing in Los Angeles was a surreal feeling. A soft breeze blew through me and the weight of my past was now long gone. My past life is just that, in the past. And there was no way I was going to look back.

I hopped off the train at Los Angeles Central Station. I looked everywhere and saw the bustling city as people walked to get to their destination. I received a few salutes due to my uniform. I searched for a payphone and finally found one.

“Hello?” My mom’s voice said.

“Hi mom!” I said.

“My son! How are you? Where did you go?” She asked.

“I’m great. I came to Los Angeles.”

“Los Angeles? That’s very far.” She sounded concerned.

“I know, mom. But remember when I said I wanted to be an actor. Well this is my chance. I can finally become something in life.”

“If that’s what you want to do, I won’t stop you.” She said.

“Any word on Casey?” I asked. Although I no longer care for her, I still wanted to make sure she was at least fine. 

“She’s… fine. Word spread about what she did to you. No one wants to talk to her. Her reputation is tarnished.” She said. Good. It’s what she deserves.

“I have to go mom. I’ll talk to you soon.” I said.

“Okay Marsh. Do good there. Find work and a nice lady.”

“I will mom.” And we hung up.

I walked through the city, carrying both bags in hand. Deciding to get a hotel, I set my bags down and changed. This was going to take a while to settle.

*

A few weeks flew by and I had bought a house somewhere in Culver City. It was a bit away from downtown Los Angeles. But the city so far has been amazing. I get to see so many people from different places. 

But acting was still on my mind. I waited for a while to settle in the city before I took the chance. 

It was a rough day. I’d been walking through Beverly Hills because I was feeling bored. I saw a club called the Sunset Strip that served alcohol. Perfect. I needed this.

I entered and was starstruck when I saw Veronica Lake exiting the club. She was surrounded by people who wanted to touch her at least. But her guards prevented that.

I entered the club and made my way to the bar.

“One whiskey.” I said. The bartender poured it into a shot glass and handed it to me. I chugged it down quickly. I asked for another one. And then another.