3. SERVANT BOY

SERVANT BOY

Enrique

First day on set as a newly made actor. I couldn't believe I was here. I drove through the parking lot. But a man stopped me and told me I had to park outside the gates. While it was a simple request, I wondered if the fact that my skin color had anything to do with it.

I entered the studio and asked a woman where I needed to go. I told her my name and she checked her paper. I was pointed in the direction of my left and followed it. I passed several other actors. Burlesque women with feathers, men covered in water, detectives, clowns.

This is the dream.

I entered the sound stage.

"Enrique Viramontes?" A voice said. I turned around and saw the red lipstick woman walking gracefully up to me.

"Hello." I said, waving to her.

"Welcome to MGM studios. My name is Roberta. I'll be taking you to the cast room where you'll get your script. Follow me." She said. I walked behind her. She was a beautiful woman. But I would never court her. Since I was young, women have never fascinated me. And I've wondered to this day why. Why can't I love women?

"You know, the producers cried during your screen-viewing." She said.

"They did?" I asked. I was taken aback. I didn't know my acting was THAT amazing.

"Yeah. They watched your audition and you got a standing ovation. They knew right then and there that they wanted you in the role." She said. I blushed at that comment. I guess I did better than expected.

"They said that they were taking a gamble casting me. What did they mean?" I asked. She turned around and looked me in the eyes.

"Hispanics never get such huge roles. They are usually supernumeraries with no lines. So to cast a Hispanic as a supporting actor, the second largest role in a film, is something unheard of. It was a concern, but they hope the public will look past that and see how amazing you are." She said. She smiled and continued walking while I caught up to her.

A few more steps and I was let into a room with a large table. Several professional looking people walked around carrying papers or props.

"This way." Roberta said. I followed her and was met with a man. He held a cigar in his mouth and wore a hat.

"Roberta." He said in a raspy voice.

"Jeremy. This is Enrique. He's-"

"The one and only who brought Charles Brackett to tears." He said. He patted my back. He was a bit taller than me and had black pepper hair. "I must say boy, you're quite a good actor. I reckon you may have more roles in the future if you keep acting like that." He finished complimenting me.

"Thank you sir." I said.

"You truly are a dime a dozen. Let's go get your script." Jeremy said. I followed him and saw a few packets of papers. One of them said my name. 'Enrique Viramontes' was scribbled on the page.

"Here you go." Jeremy said, handing me the packet. I took it. Goddamn even the paper was amazing. I read the title of the movie.

'The Lonely War Hero'
'Enrique Viramontes- Servant Boy'

I admired the words. Yes, I was a servant boy. But it was a supporting role. Meaning that I was the second best. And it's also a role that can get you nominated for an Oscar. I'm dreaming too far.

I read over the script. If I'm being honest, some scenes really weren't the best. I was meant to play a servant of a large estate that gets passed down to a war soldier returning home. But the factor put in to make my character silly was that he was clumsy. I had over a dozen scenes where I had to spill something.

At least I got to catch a woman cheating on her husband. So there's that.

"Enrique. Come on. You need to practice." A voice said. I was grabbed by my wrist and was led away from where I was. I didn't even know who this was.

"Excuse me. Who are you?" I asked the fast woman rushing through the mass.

"My apologies. I'm Sarah. I help actors to prepare for upcoming scenes." She said. I calmed and relaxed realizing that she wasn't going to kill me.

"Here we are. So today we want you to practice how to hold a tray." Sarah said. A man approached us and gave me a silver platter with fruits and cups on it.

"Now hold it with your bottom right hand palm." She said. I did what she said and held it, bending my arm to make it look like I was a server.

"Perfect." She said. She walked around me and fixed my posture and fingers.

"Now I want you to pretend to drop it." She said. I nodded and walked a bit before I tipped the platter and all the content fell.

"Okay. That's... fine. I want you to work more and that moment before it falls. Try to look at the content and make the expression that it's falling and there's nothing you can do." She explained to me. I mentally took down all she said.

"Like this." She said. She got the platter and tipped it. It looked so believable.

"Now your turn. Lean down when the tray is falling. I have to leave. But keep practicing. Remember, make it as believable as possible." She said.

"Thanks, Sarah." I said. She patted my shoulder and left the room.

I observed my surroundings and saw a few others doing their own things. Some worked on how to walk. Others practiced on how to pretend to drink water without actually drinking it. I picked up the tray and began working on it. I would occasionally glance at the script and would say the lines I was meant to say while dropping it.

A few minutes into me practicing. I think I got the hang of it. I even created some on the spot lines and jokes I could say. One involved me saying a Spanish phrase.

I held the tray and closed my eyes to learn how to do it in the dark. I was walking blindly when I bumped into something, no, someone. I fell on the floor and opened my eyes.

There was a man, slicked black hair and bright blue eyes. He looked... handsome.

"Watch where you're going, spic!" He yelled at me. I jumped back as he stood up and dusted himself off.

"The hell is a wetback doing here." The man mumbled. He walked out of the room and didn't look at me

"Pinche pendejo." I said. I picked up all my stuff. I looked and some people were looking at me. I hope they weren't judging me. I'm just a 22-year old trying to make it big in Hollywood. I had no idea why that guy was so angry. I did nothing to him that would warrant slurs.

I pushed it to the back of my head. I know this won't be the last time I experience this.

A few minutes later, Sarah came back.

"Enrique. Come one. It's time to meet your co-star." She said. I perked up.

Finally, it's time to meet the people who I will be working with.

The ones who also want to shine like me.

------

new chapter. cheers! they're going to meet soon! i kinda want to watch the twilight movies since i've never seen them before.

bye! i love you all!