T W E N T Y - T H R E E

I wake up from the sound of birds chirping in my ear. The sun beats down on my face, causing me to squint as I open my eyes. My eyes widen when I realize where I am. I look down, my clothes from last night on the dock next to me. "Fuck! Shit! Colby, up now!" I yell, shaking him awake next to me. I grab his shirt and throw it over my head, stumbling up to put on Colby's joggers.

He jerks awake and looks around confused for a moment. "We fell asleep?" He asks as he looks down under the blanket. "Yes, now get dressed. We need to go now!" I yell at him. I scurry to find my phone, which is dead.

Colby's gets dressed and gets up, following me as I walk quickly to the car. "Hold up, Penelope, it's okay. I'm sure it's no big deal." He tried to tell me as we're practically running. He gets in and starts up his car, both of us waiting for the time to pop up on his screen.

6:32 AM

I sigh in relief, sinking into his seat. "Okay, at least I know I can sneak back in. Sam cannot know I didn't come home last night. So get me there, now!" I put my seatbelt on and Colby quickly pulls out of the driveway to the lake, spinning tires as he does so.

When we get to my house I instruct Colby to park behind the trees so nobody can see him drop me off. "I'm sorry," I frown and kiss him, "I'll see you later okay?" I nod. He nods and kisses me again, letting go of my hand.

I carefully walk towards the back of the house, where the window is for my room. I search around for the latter that my dad uses regularly to cut limbs away from the house. Thankfully it's nearby and I don't have to drag it much. I reach my window and pull it open, bringing the curtains to the side as I slide in, not too carefully. I fall into my desk chair with a thud. "Shit," I whisper.

"Where were you?" My head turns to see Sam sitting above me on my bed.

"Huh?" My voice squeaks.

"You didn't come home?" His arms are crossed.

"What are you talking about? I just went to grab something from the mailbox." I scratch my leg to ease any pain I felt from the fall.

"Where's the mail?" He laughs, looking down to my hands.

"Come on, Sam give me a break." I roll my eyes. "I've covered you so many times, please don't make this a big deal."

"No, I'm not going to say anything to our parents. I was worried, Nell. Anything could of happened to you. Last thing I knew is that you walked out the building and you never came back." He leans up and walks over to me, "Where did you go?" He  puts his arms in his pant pockets, "Where did you and Colby go?" He corrects himself.

My heart drops and my eyes widen but I try to keep myself calm. "W-What?" I say.

"I'm not an idiot, both of you just randomly disappeared. You know I don't care if you stay at his house. We've slept over so many times, it's normal now." He shrugs.

"Oh! Yeah, of course. I felt sick so Colby was going to take my home. I was locked out and he offered to let me stay at his house. My phone died," I hold it up, showing him it won't come on.

Good job, play it off.

"Okay, just text me next time okay? I'm going to go lay down and get some actual sleep." I follow him out my room, peaking into his as he walks in. Kat is half dressed, knocked out in his bed. I laugh and ignore him as he shushes me.

I let out a deep breath and plug my phone in, waiting for it to turn on desperately. As soon as I see the apple sign come on I hurry to open it and call Colby.

"Hey," he picks up the phone rather quickly.

"Hey," I whisper, "Sam caught me but don't worry. He knows I was with you."

"He knows we were together? And you're telling me not to worry?" He laughs nervously.

"No, no he thinks you just offered me a ride home and I got locked out of the house. I told him you let me stay over there. No suspicion at all." I assure him.

"Thank god. You left your dress in my car." He laughs, "I'll bring it to you later, okay?"

I chuckles, "Okay, just remember, stick to the plan."

I hang up the phone and lay down, falling back into Colby's shirt that is way too big on me.

That was way too close. Sam could find out so easily and we're not being careful about it.

Should we just tell him? That would be stupid, right?