Part 43 - Betrayed

"Ledger..?" You call out shakily.
"[Y/N], [Y/N], [Y/N]... I really like you. I really, really do. But.." He inspects the knife, "I gotta do what I gotta do."
"What.. the hell are you talking about!?" You shout in fear.
"I would explain it to you, but I don't think he'd like that.~" He's now speaking in a sing-song tone, nothing like the Ledger you knew before.
Your brother limps over and pulls you and your sister up.
"I knew there was something seriously wrong with you!" He shouts at Ledger.
"You're right, you did always have your suspicions about me, didn't you? Too bad your sibling was too lovestruck to notice, and your sister was too naive."
You look at him with tears in your eyes.
"Well, I guess you all were pretty naive." He adds, chuckling, "I mean, come on! I know I'm a good liar, but seriously! So trusting of other people..."
He looks at you.
"But I guess that's what I like about you, [Y/N]."
You don't know how to feel.
Your body is a mix of emotions.
Sadness, anger, confusion, you're feeling it all.
Yet you can't put your finger on which one it is exactly.
"I'm really flattered you stood up for me. I'm really sad to kill you, believe me. And, trust me, the fire wasn't part of the plan, I have no clue where that came from. But, I can always get out with this, I guess." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a remote control.
That goes to the shutters!
But, as fast as he brung it out, he put it away.
"But.." He sighs, "Before I do anything like that, I have to uh.. kill you three!" He says, almost too enthusiastically.
Wait, why did he sound enthusiastic at all?
"Ledger, come on.. I know you don't really want to do this... Really? After all of those moments we had?" You try to reason with him.
It's cliché, you know, but now you understand why it was used so much. It was your only idea at the moment. You were so shaken up and betrayed that you didn't know what to do.
Ledger actually looks like he ponders that sentence for a bit, but then he looks back at you with a serious look, "Yeah, really. This is your final resting place, [Y/N]. And for your siblings, and Ellison as well." He smiles.
Your tear-filled eyes widen again as your mind flickers back to Ellison's body in that room.
One side of you wished you two would have gotten along better before she died, the other side is glad you didn't know her well.
You'd be heartbroken if you did.
"You.. killed Ellison?" [S/N] speaks up.
Ledger chuckles, "Nah, that was Van..ny. But I'm the one who suggested Ellison."
"Vanny? Who the hell is that?"
"Y'know that rabbit you've been seeing around the building? Or, at least you might've, but that's Vanny."
"Is she a robot?" Your brother asks him.
"No, she's a real person."
Your blood runs cold. A real person? Another killer?
"Who.. is she?" You ask.
Ledger laughs. Louder this time.
"Why would I give that away? Oh, I'm really going to miss you, [Y/N]... Seriously, I am."
"Then why are you doing this!?" You shout, a single tear rolling down your cheek.
"Ohh.. Don't cry, please, I don't want to see you cry... The simple answer is.. well, it's for him."
"Who is 'he!?' You keep mentioning 'him,' but who is he!?" [B/N] shouts, anger obvious in his voice.
"Woah, ease up, little guy. Appreciate me more for once in your life."
He just mocked you.
You blush, feeling humiliated.
Humiliated, betrayed, upset, and angry.
"I can't tell you who he is, because he wouldn't like that. We don't want to upset him, do we?"
You look to his pocket, and you see the remote poking out.
If you can just get that remote...
"Shut the hell up and just tell us why you're doing this! And don't give me some shitty response like, 'You have to!'"
Maybe if you run to Ledger while he's distracted, knock the knife away, and grab the remote...
But can you do that?
"But.. [B/N], that's the only reason I have."
You look up, and start planning your route.
"Well it's a crappy reason. You'd seriously go this far?! I hate you! What did [Y/N] ever see in you?! You're horrible, you know!" Your brother lashes out at the man.
You'd run to him, and tackle him as if you were giving him a hug. If he tried to swing his knife at you, you'd either dodge or reflect it. You'd knock him to the ground, and quickly get the remote from his pocket.
You'd press the button, and then...
Then you and your siblings would run.
You would run for your lives.
Alright.. You think you have it.
"I don't care what you think of me! I don't care anymore. It was always like this from the start."
You run through the route in your head...
"Nobody ever thought of me as anything but a razor-tooth monster! Do you know what that's like!? To grow up, always being made fun of behind your back!? The whispers in the halls being about YOU? Nobody spoke to me. Nobody got near me! Even my own parents were scared to merely touch me! But you.. You don't know what that's like!"
You position yourself...
"But, well, I guess it's as they say.."
3, 2, 1...
"...Once a monster, always a monster."
You charge at him.
He does see you coming, and he swings the knife at you.
You manage to dodge it, but you get a small cut on the side of your face.
You tackle him to the ground.
But... He's actually pretty strong.
This is nothing like the cool fight scene you imagined in your head.
"What .. are you doing!?" Ledger shouts at you.
You try to hold him down, while also holding down his hand with the knife in it.
You know, so he doesn't stab you in the throat.
You stare into his amber eyes.
They're beautiful.. But, is that a hint of purple?
Tears cloud your vision. You can't believe you're pinning your favorite person down.. and not in the good way, in the I-need-to-hold-this-guy-down-or-else-he'll-stab-me kind of way.
However, your sadness makes you weaker, and he flips you over onto your back.
"Aw man, it's sure lucky that this view is the last one you're gonna see, huh?" He says, before raising up the knife.
You close your eyes, and brace for pain.
But it never came.
"Ugh!" Ledger grunts as he's kicked off of you.
Your sister had kicked him square in the ribs.
It takes you a moment to gain back your composure, but you manage to sit up.
You look towards where Ledger was laying, also regaining his composure, knife still in hand.
Next to him, a bit closer to you, was the remote.
Your eyes light up, and you quickly crawl your way over to the device, and grab it.
"Hey!" Ledger shouts.
You stumble to your feet, and look for your siblings.
[S/N] is next to you, and [B/N] is behind you.
"Run!" You yell.
"N-No!" You hear Ledger get up, and start running towards you three.
You slam your hand on the button, and pray that it'll open the shutters in time.
You slide down the escalator's railing, trying to get down as fast as possible.
When you reach the bottom of the stairs, you look behind you for your siblings.
You see that they're a pretty decent way behind you... and Ledger is right on their tail.
So, you run back.
On your way, you yank [S/N]'s hat off of her head, and throw it at Ledger, hitting him square in the face.
"Hey!" Your sister shouts in surprise.
It doesn't stop him, but it definitely slows him down a bit.
Your sister picks your brother up and puts him on her back, and you all start running.
You didn't even think of picking up your brother, and you feel terrible about it. He had a huge bloody gash in his leg, he was probably barely able to walk.
And so, there you are, running through the Pizzaplex lobby, towards the exit.
The walls are crumbling around you from the fire, and you can barely breathe due to smoke.
Ledger is right behind you all, but he's a bit farther back now.
You can see the doors, and the shutter is open.
It's like you're running towards the pearly gates, straight out of Hell.
Soon, you all hear a loud crack, and then a scream, then a crash...
You turn around to look at the noise as you're running, but stop in your tracks immediately.
Ledger's lower body has been trapped under a small bill-board that tumbled down, most likely due to the heat and pressure.
It's not enough the break any bones, but you guess that depends on how hard the billboard fell.
He lets out an agonizing scream.
Even though he just tried to kill you... You feel a  sharp pang of sympathy shoot through your body.
You couldn't let him just die like that.
"Ledger!" You shout, and run towards him.
You put your hands on the billboard, but..
You forgot it was scorching hot.
You quickly pull your hands back, burns on both of your palms.
You start crying, the adrenaline making the pain mostly invisible.
He stares at you, as if either shocked, or calling for help.
Or both...
You try to push the billboard off, and you get it down to his legs, but...
"[Y/N], come on! He's not worth it!" Your sister pulls you back by the arm.
"No!" You reach your hand out as she pulls you.
"W-Wait! [Y/N], come back! [Y/N], I'm sorry, I love you!"
Your eyes widen at his words, and the tears start streaming more violently.
You all get closer to the door.
"No, please! Please, I didn't mean to! Please come back!"
His shouts get more faint as you get closer to the doors.
The last words you heard from him before you burst through the doors were, "Please, don't leave me!"
You all collapse on the concrete, panting.
The adrenaline eventually wears off as you look at the burning building.
You feel everything.
The unbearable pain of the third-degree burns on your hands, the stinging of the cuts on your shoulder and cheek as the cold night air hits you.
You're exhausted, and in pain.
You hug your siblings close to you as the sirens  of the fire trucks and ambulance get closer.

Wow
That was something
Can you believe I edited this on my way to school
Anyway I'll see you all later, go ahead and soak this up for me 😁