Chapter 9

I quickly rinse my cup and silently cursed Blake for infecting my brain with the forbidden thoughts.

Back home, Musa and I would spend nights talking about Luke. She teased me about my annoying infatuation with Luke. Because thats what it was.

Infatuation. Four years of infatuation.

Yeah. Right.

My subconscious smirks at me. Keep telling yourself, maybe you'll believe it.

I didn't like him, I tell myself. I was merely curious about his mysterious personality.

I already had trouble controlling my thought and if people around me started obsessing over him too-

Obsessing? OBSESSING?!

I dragged myself to my room and called Musa.

"HIYA SISTER!"

"Hi Musa-"

"Did you meet him? Does he have nice hair? Hehe. Did he smile? What about him arms? Are they nice? TELL ME EVERYTHING!" Someone was excited.

"I did-" She makes this throaty noise and I can see her, smile stretched across her face, as she waits for more tea. "-for like two minut-"

"TWO MINUTES?! Last time he barely glanced at you. Oh my god. He so likes you."

"Musa, MUSA, let me complete." And then I tell her about my encounter with Luke. She doesn't interrupt once, which surprises me, because despite her being a great listener, I knew she was dying to ask questions.

"So, you are scared you might be obsessed with him?" She asks when I'm done.

"I don't know Musa. It's not possible to be obsessed with someone I don't know. But then infatuations don't last this long."

Silence.

"Musa?"

"Right here. According to google, infatuation is an intense but short-lived passion or admiration for someone or something. So Ad, infatuation is out of question. As for obsession, are you possessive about him?"

"No."

"Do you stalk him?"

"No."

"Do you talk about him all the time?"

"You know I don't like talking about him."

"I know everything Ad. It's you who needs to be reminded and reassured. Also do you have mutual friends?"

"No. But what does it have anything to do with obsessions?"

"When you obsessed with someone, you want information about them. 'What's a better resource than his friends? No sister, you are not obsessed with him."'

"But I did celebrate when Marianne and Luke broke up. I also can't stop staring at him. I don't want him to feel creeped out."

"Bro, that is normal stuff. It simply means you like him. Stop over thinking."

"I sniffed his shirt Musa. I'm officially a creeper."

"Did he smell good? If you gonna go down with that title, it should be worth it."

I laugh and then remember Blake.

"So you told Blake huh?"

Silence.

"I'm sorry. It wasn't my story to tell, I mean technically it was-"

"Excuse me?"

"You are excused. Hehe, kidding. I mean I'm a writing a book on it so it is my story. Anyway, Blake sort of guessed it when she read the chapters. I told her because I didn't want her to assume stuff. Sorry."

Oh I was never mad at her. But I glad to know that she wasn't the first to indulge.

A bell rang and I rose to open the door.

"I'll call you later."

"Cool. Bye."

"Bye, Musa."

I slid open the lock and pulled the door inwards.

Elena and Lindsey walked past, carrying bags of food.

It smelled amazing.

"Hey!"

"Maa sent lunch." Lindsey said as she dropped the bags on the kitchen counter.

"Do you want to rest? Or should we start unpacking?" Elena asked.

Despite declining Aunt Naina's offer to furnish the space, she ended up buying all the furniture. We just had to remove the plastics and decorate the house.

"I'm not tired. I'm not holding you from work, am I?" I ask.

"Oh no, no."

An hour later, our stuff was unpacked, the furniture arranged, and the walls of my room were decorated with some photo frames I bought from Jodhpur.

We chatted as we ate lunch. It was delicious.

Rach's phone rang. I grabbed her hand before she could answer. She has been on her phone since morning. Whoever was calling could wait.

"Who is it Rach?" I ask

"Nick." She says as she twists her arm free.

I frown.

"Nick?"

"Nickolas Wiliam. I told you about him." She replies as she types out a text on her phone.

"The guy you were online dating?
Since when did you start talking on call?"

"You would know if you were not busy chatting with Blake. I'm planning on meeting him tomorrow."

I ignore her jab.

"Do your parents know?

"Save it Adaline. I might've not told them about him but I've asked Sam regarding this and he has no problem with me meeting with him."

"Oh and did you mention that you have no clue what he looks like, because he wants to see your expression when you put face to the name. Huh? Or did you conveniently forgot that minor detail?" I toss back.

Silence descended upon us.

"I have to agree with Adaline on this. Even if Sam agreed, you shouldn't go alone." Elena says placing a hand over Rach"s hand.

"I wasn't planning to. Jeez how dumb do you think I'm?" and then looking at me she continues "For someone who has never dated and has no romantic experience, you sure have a lot of opinion."

I clench my jaw.

"I don't need to date in order to realize that this is a disaster waiting to happen. It's common sense. And I just want you to be safe, why are you being so bitter about it?

She glares at me and stomps in her room, banging the door behind her.

What the hell just happened?

********************

Vote and comment.

Love,

MJ