V. Gathering the Team part 2

The next morning, Melinda had been already awake by the time Charles knocked on her door. Their latest powerful friend wanted to talk to them about something. Specifically, he wanted to talk to Charles but the telepath wanted her to be present as well.

As they walked towards his office, Charles informed on how he found Erik about to leave and the small speech he had given him. Yet, when Melinda asked him if Erik had chosen to stay. her brother admitted that he did not know.

The older woman bit the inside of her cheek once again, wondering mentally if the mysterious and secretive mutant had chosen to stay. Charles admitted that he had seen it in his brain but she refused to let him tell her anything. The past of someone was not of her concern and if ever, was she to find out about the past, she would when Erik chose to.

At last, they had reached the office. The man, eyed Melinda carefully since she had yet to show her mutation. She had declined to do so, feeling no need to show off. No one truly pushed her and she was quick to take the seat next to Charles, on the other side of the man's desk.

From his window, they could see a round white gigantic structure across the yard. "Hank turned that radar installation into a transmitter" he started to explain. "It's designed to amplify brainwaves, so it could enhance your telepathic powers, and help us find other mutants for our division"

The two siblings looked at one another and then at this huge transmitter. Charles did not need his telepathy to know what his older sister was thinking. Yet, she did not comment on anything and simply listened. That machine required Charles, which meant that only he had the final word about all of that.

"What if they don't want to be found by you?" a new voice asked, making everyone look at the door.

"Erik" Melinda exclaimed first, a smile on her face. She was not sure why, but she was happy that he had chosen to stay.

Charles shared her happiness. "You decided to stay" he pointed out.

The man gave a few nods with his head, his face cold and expressionless as ever. Yet Melinda could swear that his eyes showed all the emotions he tried to hide behind his mask. "If a new species are being discovered, it should be by its kind. Charles, Melinda and I find the mutants. No suits"

The said woman looked at him surprised, not by his words but by the fact that he included her. Their eyes met for a moment, and she could not help but mentally thank him, giving him a warm smile. She then turned to Charles. "I agree" she started. "If they see suits, they will be mistrustful; maybe even run away"

"First of all, that's my machine out there," the man said. "Second of all, much more importantly, this is Charles' decision. Charles is fine with the CIA being involved, isn't that right?"

Charles had silently kept looking at Erik and Melinda. His own blue eyes switched between the two mutants, who waited for his answers; although deep down they already knew it. After a moment of silence, Charles turned to face the man. "No, I am sorry but I am with Erik and Melinda on this one. We will find them alone"

The man tried to sound intimidating, not pleased by how he was outnumbered. "What if I say no?"

Charles smirked, exchanging a look with his sister. "Then, good luck using that machine without me"

---------------------------

After realizing that he could not win, the CIA agent gave this new suggestion. However, to recruit more mutants, they had to find them first. That's why our heroes found themselves climbing up the narrow spiral case inside the giant transmitter.