XII. Last Night Together, part 1

The rest of the month passed by faster than anyone truly expected, and yet, immerse progress had been made. One would even say that they were all ready for battle, and while many liked to believe that as well, it felt different when the time truly arrived.

For the day had started simply, with everyone going on about their daily training when Moira shouted from the living room.

"Guys, come quick!" was all she said, somehow her voice reaching everyone that was in the close perimeter.

"What's wrong?" Melinda asked as she jogged into the room, out of breath.

It was not long before everyone followed suit, Charles taking a seat next to Moira on the couch. The rest chose to stand around them as the agent pointed at the TV. A live broadcast was playing as President Kennedy was addressing the crowd.

"It shall be the policy of this nation to regard any nuclear missile crossing the embargo line that surrounds Cuba as an attack by the Soviet Union on the united states, requiring a full retaliatory response upon the Soviet Union..." the President said, making everyone exchange looks.

"That's where we will find Shaw," Erik said, pointing at the TV since it was clear now where their enemy had made his temporary new base.

"How do you know?" Alex asked, most of the young mutants not having fully understood what was going on or what connections Erik had made in his mind.

"Two superpowers facing off, and he wants to start World War III. He won't leave anything to chance, " Charles said, his eyes never leaving the screen as the President kept talking.

Melinda pinched the bridge of her nose and folded her hands in front of her chest. "And now, without that telepath, he will not take any chances," she commented, eyes never leaving the screen.

She knew eventually they would have to come face to face with Shaw, but she was not ready for it... not yet. She glanced around her at the other mutants, most being young kids that had their whole life in front of them. She did not want to see them in harm's way, but if they had no other choice, she had to.

"So much for diplomacy," Erik said, snapping her from her thoughts. "I suggest you all get a good night's sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By nightfall, everyone was deep into their thoughts. Erik and Charles had chosen to play one last round of chess for the day, having a discussion of what is to come. Despite all this, Erik was still not going to let his chance for revenge escape through his fingers.

They sat across one another on matching armchairs, a glass of good brandy to keep them company as they eyed the chessboard.

"Cuba, Russia, America...it makes no difference. Shaw has declared war on mankind on all of us. He has to be stopped, " Charles said as he made his move.

Erik watched him and heard him quite clearly as he took a few sips of his brandy. "I am not going to stop Saw. I am going to kill him, " He told his friend as he moved his king to eat one of his pawns. "Do you have it in you to allow that?" There was a small silence between them as Charles leaned forward and eyed the chessboard. "You have known all along why I was here, Charles. " he continued, making the telepath look at him.

"But things have changed, haven't they?" he asked him, passively insinuating something that Erik knew too well.

He felt the need to roll his eyes and he, instead, chose to take another ship from his glass while waiting for his next move. "It is not wise to bring Melinda into this," he said,d deciding to undress the elephant in the room. Yes, her presence and what they had done in the last month had been something new and enjoyable even in his life. But his mission never changed and never truly would, not after all those sleepless nights filled with dark memories of his time with Saw.